AT guns and HQ bonuses

I know that putting AT guns under HQ control with a stealth bonus helps them remain undetected. And the moral bonus helps keep them from being pinned and abandoning their gun. But I was woundering what, if anything, the firepower bonus and command bonus do. I did a small test with an AT gun and a vet HQ unit with +2 firepower. It seems it makes no difference in the guns % chance to hit a AFV.

Does any1 have any more proven data/experinces?

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Yep, thats pretty obvious Mike smile.gif.. I was more concerned with things like ROF, quickness of turning/tracking targets, and quickness of lining up/getting off the 1st shot.

Sure, I'd like that too. Regard its present lack as an oversight. But that (if it were included) would come under the attack bonus rather than the command bonus.

Michael

Sure, I'd like that too. Regard its present lack as an oversight.
Or a deliberate decision?

Wouldn't stuff like:"ROF, quickness of turning/tracking targets, and quickness of lining up/getting off the 1st shot" be orders given by the crew commander and relate to the inherent quality of the crew? In contrast orders to move the gun might be more likely to emanate from a higher HQ and therefore be subject to that HQ's bonuses?

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"

I'd think that the BTS' rationale in giving combat bonuses to platoon HQs are based directly on the fact that squads represent 10+ men each.

Since the player does not control each man, its up to the HQ unit to control these squads. Better leaders move their men around more efficently, etc, resulting in higher combat effectiveness.

On the other hand, AT guns are a single, albeit organic, unit. A HQ would not be able to do much for the relative efficiency for a single AT gun. Following this argument is faster and smarter target acquisition when a HQ unit is in command of multiple AT guns. A HQ unit could prioritize targets and promote better cooperation between the guns. Wonder if this is represented.

This is the sort of stuff I was hoping would be in the manual. I think us CM players are generally a pretty intelligent lot and can quickly work out the basic game mechanics without refering to a manual. We really dont need 150 pages about how to move and target units. What I would have liked to seen is:

* If your TC is killed your tank will be permently buttoned, suffer a 20% reduction in spotting, 15% reduction in rof and a 1.5 sec delay in initially targeting an afv.

* Infantry squads under HQ control with a +1 firepower rating recieve a 10% increase to their firepower rating, 15% for +2.

The above is fictional just to state the point.

Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

This is the sort of stuff I was hoping would be in the manual. I think us CM players are generally a pretty intelligent lot and can quickly work out the basic game mechanics without refering to a manual. We really dont need 150 pages about how to move and target units...

Good point, exactly what I thought when reading the manual the first time.

I hope that for CM2 the manual will be more useful.

Not that it was bad, but after playing the demo and finally getting the full game there was VERY little I learned that I didn't knew before...

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!

I'll do a search for a quote from Steve or Charles in a bit, but I really doubt that you'll see those kind of specifics in future manuals. If my (cloudy) memory serves me right, I think thats they expressly decided not to put such things in the manual. They wanted the game to be played more by 'feel' then by number crunching.... I'll see if I can dig up a specifc quote though.

Ben

BTS almost certainly won't be publishing %s and rates and ratios and other stuff (barring what applies from historic armor/speed/etc data.

People have asked for stuff before and they've not given it so i doubt we'll see it in the future.

PeterNZ

------------------

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem, Croda and JeffShandorf -

Der Kessel scenario design group

Combat Vision movies

Originally posted by JunoReactor:

I'd think that the BTS' rationale in giving combat bonuses to platoon HQs are based directly on the fact that squads represent 10+ men each.

Since the player does not control each man, its up to the HQ unit to control these squads. Better leaders move their men around more efficently, etc, resulting in higher combat effectiveness.

Wouldn't that also mean that the squad should gain defensive bonuses under a good leader, because he directs them to superior cover? Reading Black Hawk Down convinced me that infantry deployment is as much about defense as offense. Or is there already a defensive bonus carried in the stealth capability?

Just a side note on topic of good/bad manuals...

For a change of pace I decided to pick up Europa Universalis they other day. The manual is the most covaluted confusing piece of dreck. It's large, lots of pages, but seemingly organized by a dyslexic. The CM manual is one of the better ones I've seen, and I remember some of the older SSI and SSG manuals that were pretty good. About the best manual I remember though was from Tigers on the Prowl.