So What about Relative Spotting (Ode to Deanco)

There is one situation that gives me a headache: Say a tank (unbuttoned) spots an AT team and turns its turret to engage it. Another tank, let's assume it is buttoned up, did not spot the AT team yet, but it sees how the tank in front of it turns its turret and coax MG tracers stream into a patch of wood.

Now what is the blinded tank supposed to do? Area fire into the wood or not?

To pose the question differently: will tracers, explosions, or dust be able to "mark" units hidden from direct observation or not?

Tricky ...

Regards,

Thomm

I believe that the original poster is refering to the new 3 page CM2 preview that is currently running in Computer Games Magazine.

Unfortunately there are two rather LARGE mistakes in that preview.

#1 CM2 will NOT repeat N O T include relative spotting!!!

That is a HUGE undertaking and would not be possible until we completely re-write the game code which is slated for CM II. I think the author of that article might have gotten his roman numerals confused there. That is something for CMII and NOT CM2...

#2 CM2 will NOT include the Winter War Campaign (1939-40). CM2 is only 1941-45.

Sorry for any (and I am sure there will be tons of it) misunderstanding that is caused by those mistakes in that article.

Madmatt

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Matt is correct. I've emailed Robert to figure out what went wrong, but I suspect it was confusion between CM2 and CMII. We have tried to break ourselves of the habit of referring to the ground up engine rewrite as CMII for this very reason. But old habits are hard to break, so perhaps that is where the confusion came from.

Otherwise, a great article smile.gif

I'm locking this thread up and starting a new one about this topic...

Steve