Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Firefly

Because of the cannon that is sports. It uses the British 17pdr. Excellent weapon at 76mm for penetrating German Uber armor.

Happy hunting.

lost 3 PZIV's to two Fireflies in tcp game last nite. I managed to kill one FF b4 they knocked all my Panzers out. I admit that my tactics were suspect, but they were all front penetration kills. Those damn FF's pack a hell of a punch!

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

40mm Daimler knocks out PZ-IVs on move fast. PZ-IVs should be treated like light tanks, or Tank Hunters. Shermans slice through them like butter.

Yo,

Good old Rufus T. In a QB a month or so ago, I nailed a KT through the turret at 556 meters with a Firefly.

It happened to transpire that the KT was rotating its turrent to hit some Wasps and Stuarts that were zipping along behind some hills on the KT's flank. And though the tank moved its turret, it never lined up and actually fired any rounds.

Mr.J's story made me run a small "fast Daimler" scenario..

Two Daimlers breaks cover moving fast, 600 meters from four ammoless Pz IV´s.

3 Minutes and 37 shots later all PzIV's are KO'd.

Out of the 37 shots 11 (30%) hit at ranges between 580 and 100 meters. And that was not 1 shot at 580 and 10 at 100, more at shorter range of course but nothing extreme.

The Daimlers were moving "fast" over "open" terrain while the PzIV's stationary or moving.

Even though this does not prove anything to a scientifically satisfactory level it seems to indicate, to me at least, that it is way way way too easy to hit things while moving full speed in an unstabilised 4-wheeled vehicle over "open", that is uneven, terrain.

It seems like a one in a hundred, if not thousand, shot to me, even at 100 meters...

M.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattias:

Mr.J's story made me run a small "fast Daimler" scenario..

Two Daimlers breaks cover moving fast, 600 meters from four ammoless Pz IV´s.

3 Minutes and 37 shots later all PzIV's are KO'd.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

just out of curiosity, what do you think would happen if you gave the mk IVs some ammo?

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 01-16-2001).]

No doubt the outcome would, predictably, be two KO'd Daimlers, with a possible dead Pz IV thrown in.

That result however, would hardly have helped in testing the gunnery of fast moving 4-wheel AC's in open ground, which was the point to begin with.

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 01-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 01-16-2001).]

I suppose that is true, although what I was getting at was that in a more realistic situation, the daimlers get fried. Which seems appropriate to you.

Can you point to something else besides your feeling that the game does not model gun accuracy right?

Never having shot a 37 mm cannon at a tank from a moving armored car, i have no idea how accurate it is.

Terence,

I have no experience of riding an actual AC myself. I have however on several occasions had the dubious pleasure of riding full speed in a heavy Swedish jeep (one version mounting a 90mm RCL cannon) over fields that would be considered "open" in CM terms.

Based, solely, on those experiences I strongly doubt that a gunner could aim and fire a gun in any kind of orderly fashion.

The main point to remember is that the 4-weeled AC's will be wobbling up and down with ever single little depression in the ground, unlike a tank or to some lesser extent an 6 or 8 wheeler. Going flat out is simply a back breaking experience.

These AC's were designed to recon along roads with a limited cross country capability to aid them.

It seems impossible that they should achieve a 30% hit ratio under such conditions, even under 100 meters if you ask me.

M.