CMBB: Passengers and the User Interface.

Once again, two interface suggestions for CMBB with regard to passengers:

1) When a vehicle is selected, show which passengers are carried (in the unit window or as a label?), so that no additional keystroke (Enter) is necessary.

2) Clicking on the same vehicle more than once should toggle through/select the passengers!!!!!

Having to change the view to select passengers *really* upsets me! Do somefink, please!

Regards,

Thomm

Kwazy, that's another way to do it, I 'spose --- but it leads to even more mouse/keystrokes then just selecting the vehicle and hitting Enter. (Those of us who usually play at camera elevation 3 or 4 end up still having to select the troop to determine what exactly they are).

I think what Rollstoy is getting at is that it would be more convenient if the passengers were listed in the vehicle info box shown on the interface itself. Maybe on that big empty line after "Ammo" and below the helmet icon.

Thanks for the reply and the advice, Dan!

However, I still think that the process of identifying and selecting passenger teams should be streamlined in CM2:BB. Actually, suggestion (2) from my previous post would make suggestion (1) obsolete, because you could simply click on the vehicle repeatedly to see who are the passengers.

The pseudocode for this functionality could look somewhat like this:

<kbd>

function single_click_on_vehicle()

if (target unit is a vehicle)

__if (this vehicle is already selected)

____if (vehicle has passengers) then select first passenger unit;

__else if (previously selected unit was a passenger of the selected vehicle)

____if (vehicle has more passengers)

______select next passenger unit;

____else

______select the vehicle;

</kbd>

There is only one problem with this: if you have a passenger team selected and you click on the vehicle, then the other passenger team will be selected. But in many cases there is only one passenger team anyway, and in the other case another mouse click would safely select the vehicle itself again. Seems like a elegant solution for me. And since the vehicle obviously "knows" its passengers, the necessary pointers should be in place already, such that only small adjustments as outlined above are necessary in the code!

I hope you guys give it a try!

Regards,

Thomm

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Rollstoy ]