Graphic speed : a question

Yo,

I noticed that my system still have problems to run smooth when I move the camera and a lot of units come into my LOS. The more different units, the stronger is the effect. Of course, a lot of Textures must be loaded...but my machine is a Thunderbird-1000 with 256MB Ram and an Asus Geforce2 GTS 64MB.

So, is this normal?

I have the TBird 900, Win 2k, DX8, Geforce GTS 2, 512MB, and use FSAA 1.2. My game is smooth. Id say make sure you have the latest drivers from NVidia (I use 6.34) and try turning down or off the FSAA (Full Screen Anti-Aliasing).

TeAcH

Can't be (I guess), I have downloaded the Detonator 3 driver from NVIDIA yesterday again, but it was already correct installed.

Only for clarification : the game runs smooth in all solutions and the biggest scenarios - as long as I don't move the camera, but if I move, it seems my cameraman stumbels over the battlefield when units come in LOS. Same with the unenhanced original graphics.

I've already run 3dmark2000 benchmark, result 7090 points, what can be awaited with this hardware. I've also no problems with those 3dshooters in 1600x1200 and 32bit color.

[This message has been edited by Scipio (edited 01-14-2001).]

I think CM has noticeable slowdown when scrolling around at view 4 or higher on ANY home computer if there are lots of trees, buildings, units, hi-res grass, etc..

When people say "it's smooth as silk" they're referring to smallish maps, few trees, few buildings, and few units and/or at the LOWER view levels. They may be talking about the "movies" also. Movies are very smooth, but scrolling (rotating) and ordering aren't always smooth.

I'm running a PIII 733 mhz with Geforce 256 (SDR)and 256 MB CAS 2 PC133 RAM. My racing games and flight sims are truly "smooth as silk" but CM gets a bit jerky in the situations described above. At higher views you're pushing alot of polygons in CM! I always run with two man squads and rarely have the trees on, just to keep the big scenarios "smooth as silk" while scrolling and ordering.

Treeburst155

I have the same system Treeburst, but with a Voodoo 5 5500, and run 4xFSAA and ever mod, including Panzertruppen's buildings. The only jerkiness I get is when there has been a smoke barrage, and only at very low resolution. It isn't bad enough to cause me to change anything. Just slows a bit on scroll. I think the smoke really chews up graphic memory.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-15-2001).]