CM and the latest iBooks

I bought the "Windows" version of Combat Mission in expectation of being forced into a PC. (Apple's desktop prices are insane) However, I am leaning more and more towards getting a new iBook (assuming I can get financing).

Here are my questions:

- Does CM come on a hybrid CD? I would hate to have to find someone to trade PC/Mac CDs with.

- How well does it play on the latest iBooks? How about the older ones? Would the performance on a new iBook be comparable to my old 233Mhz iMac Rev. B with Voodoo2?

Yes, it's a hybrid CD. And Apple reduced the prices on their Cubes and iMacs, so you may not consider their prices to be insane anymore.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

The newest "iBooks use the ATI RAGE Mobility video controller" with 8mb of Vram

So make sure you get the Rev2 iBook

it should run CM well enough

There is a rumored revision of the iBook to be updated (hopefully)by MacWorld NY in July

They may have even better graphics abilities

I know I am waiting because even if they dont have updated graphics then the ones available now will get cheaper

Originally posted by David Aitken:

Andreas (Germanboy) plays CM on an iBook, and I get the impression it runs well. New iBooks will certainly run better than early iMacs.

David

I run CM on an iBook and iMac and both run just fine. The new iMacs have 16Meg of VRAM and can use system memory to act as additional VRAM if needed. The new iMacs sound like a nice upgrade from previous models. I love my iBook, but with the screen supported 1024x768 instead of 800x600. The 8Meg of VRAM seems to work well so far.

Scott

Ditto here. I run CM on an iMac at home and on an older model PowerBook (which is similar to the horsepower in the ne iBooks) when on the road. The only slight problem I have seen is that a lot of realistic smoke on the map can slow down panning around the battlefield some, but I just turn it off part of the time while I am plotting moves so it doesn't jerk when I move around.

I play CM on what's now an old Powerbook G3/300 with an ATI RageLTPro (4MB) and it's fine, even for a battalion or so per side, but if I want the transparency effects I'm limited to 640x480. The new iBooks will be better.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by David Aitken:

Andreas (Germanboy) plays CM on an iBook, and I get the impression it runs well. New iBooks will certainly run better than early iMacs.

David

David is right - I just today sold my iBook, after about 10months it had lost about 20% in value, a Wintel notebook from May 2000 would probably have lost 40-50%. So there is another factor to look at when you decide about what to buy.

It ran CMBO just fine (800x600), including some mods. It should run it a lot better than early iMacs, although I would not know about the Voodoo upgrade.

Version 1.12 runs absolutely stable, it is quick in calculating turns, and I have no problems recommending it for CMBO.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Germanboy:

David is right - I just today sold my iBook, after about 10months it had lost about 20% in value, a Wintel notebook from May 2000 would probably have lost 40-50%. So there is another factor to look at when you decide about what to buy.

It ran CMBO just fine (800x600), including some mods. It should run it a lot better than early iMacs, although I would not know about the Voodoo upgrade.

Version 1.12 runs absolutely stable, it is quick in calculating turns, and I have no problems recommending it for CMBO.

Um how much did you sell your iBook for, roughly? I bought mine a year ago and am ready to sell it, just wondering what kind of money (pounds) I might expect.