Help with Marco mods please!

I think it best to start out with the older ones first. Dump the bmps into the bmp directory, move the bat's and ico's to the CMBO directory, then create the shortcuts to the ico's. As you come forward in his newer mods, there are some more to add, but he has accounted for the older mods, and if you read the text files carefully and have created the previous links, then all you should have to do is load the bmps into the bmp directory, and the links will remain the same. I wasn't sure at first either, but they all seem to work really well. Make sure you make backups of the originals though, just in case.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

I have created desktop icons for all the Allied units. I created a folder to hold all German Halftracks and put that on my desktop, too. With just a click I can switch from French to American, Cavalry, ect. If I want SS or WH just as easy. Looks great on my desktop, too

I believe that's correct Phil, his newer batch files are meant to overwrite the older ones when you copy them to the CMBO directory. His T8 mod, I believe it is, contains a "Powermod", zip file which overwrites the older batch files, and updates them. Pretty cleaver really. Just be careful to read his text carefully.

That's a good idea Mark, I just haven't done that yet myself. Got about 25 icons now with Fernando and Marco's stuff. Time to create folders I guess.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 01-20-2001).]

These MODS and the batchfile system add greatly to my enjoyment of the game. I hope that MOD makers latch onto the batchfile method. Recently a beautiful set of Sky Mods were presented. But no batchfile system makes it difficult to use. I've kept the zip and hope somebody will produce the batch system. I'll bet many artistically detailed renderings aren't used because the gamer must change BMPs. By the way, I now also keep all my PBEM's on my desktop. Boy does THAT shortcut ever work!

Hi guys,

Yes, you are correct that all Marco's newer mod batch files overwrite his older ones. When installed correctly you will only have one batch/icon for ALL the British tanks, one for ALL the French tanks, etc. They also load and unload ALL of Gordon Molek's camo'ed British versions if you have those. The "Powerbatch" _isn't_ needed for this, the regular batch files do it fine.

Because I beta for Marco, I'm loading and dumping his stuff all the time, and it's really not too complicated. Here's what I do:

Unzip all Bergman mods desired right into the BMP directory (no need to move the batches _yet_), oldest first to newest last (main thing here is newest last - that's the *important* part). Say YES to permissions to overwrite any existing files. See below for mod release order if you are unsure.

Next, I move the batches and icons to the CMBO directory using Windows Explorer cut and paste. To me this is easier than unzipping to a separate directory and moving everything, but if you are uncomfortable working in the BMP directory, unzipping into an empty folder and making two cut and paste operations works fine.

Now, you can set up shortcuts if you desire. Note that this is not strictly necessary if you don't mind popping open Windows Explorer and just clicking on the appropriate batch file. That's what I do, either option works.

Also note that you do not need to move the batch files out of the BMP directory for them to work. The only reason that Marco does it is because it's cluttered in there. You can leave the batches in the BMP directory and they will run fine from there, either with or without icon-ized shortcuts (you'll get a "directory not found" error since the batch wants to go to the BMP directory, but you can ignore it - it's already there smile.gif )

The order of Marco's releases are:

M4A3/M4 set

Sherman III/V set

Sherman Firefly set

T8 Combat Car/Start Kangaroo set

Stuart/M5A1/M8 HMC set

Marco's next release (Sherman II/M4A1 series) will update the batches so that ALL the above will be loaded for the appropriate nation, AND will load the appropriate version of Desert Fox's Ram Kangaroo. biggrin.gif

So, all you should have on the desktop or in your CM folder (if you use icons) are an icon for U.S., British, French, Polish, and Canadian. If you have his latest (Stuart/M5A1) you may also want the U.S. low-vis, and U.S. Cavalry icons. And, if you use Gordon's camo Brits, you'll want the Camo British icon.

Hope that helps. If you are still confused, shoot me an e-mail and we'll get you all set. Marco's stuff is too good to pass up over a little confusion biggrin.gif

- Old Dog

Old Dog's CM Central The CM Photo Gallery!

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkEzra:

These MODS and the batchfile system add greatly to my enjoyment of the game. I hope that MOD makers latch onto the batchfile method. Recently a beautiful set of Sky Mods were presented. But no batchfile system makes it difficult to use. I've kept the zip and hope somebody will produce the batch system. I'll bet many artistically detailed renderings aren't used because the gamer must change BMPs. By the way, I now also keep all my PBEM's on my desktop. Boy does THAT shortcut ever work! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ow! Ow! Ow! Okay enough with the pointy stick, I get the idea... smile.gif

------------------

"...come from the sea with nitroglycerine, nitroglycerine and a ladder of rope, and a thing called hope..."

Phil,

I only can second what Old Dog already stated in detail. Go to MadMatts CMHQ, download the whole bunch of Marco´s excellent Mods, but don´t forget my Kangaroo MOD [ http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/CombatMission/Combatmission.htm ] wink.gif

Install all MODS, and copy as the latest step this [ http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/CombatMission/commonwealth_textures.zip ] commonwealth_textures.bat into your /CMBO folder. Then run british or canadian or whatever.bat and you are done.

cheers

Helge

This BBS software lies, I never ever edit my posts smile.gif

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: TheDesertFox@gmx.net

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

[This message has been edited by TheDesertFox (edited 01-20-2001).]