Scipio - Great Sounds!

Well, I just took the plunge and downloaded all of Scipio's sound mods (and the mp3 converter) off his new web-site. They are stunning!

Wow, the SMG fire and MG fire is riveting. The German voices are VERY accurate. I haven't heard all the sounds yet, but I am impressed with your accuracy and quality.

Good work and thanks alot.

Going to d/l the updates. Loved the previous sound mod attempts he's made. My favorite is a tossup between the MG42 and big calibre gun (i.e. 150mm Inf.Gun) sound effects. Zooming up behind one of those big guns and watching/hearing them fire is quite satisfying.

Well, being a dumb lawyer, I can't figure out how to convert the MP3 files to .wav files with his converter. How do you do it?

Or could someone just post them as wav files and help the techno handicapped like me?

I really want to try them, so would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jake

it's over 16 megs when decoded to Wav format and zipped up.

I think it's better if I show you how to use it. I always believe "it is better to teach a man to fish, than giving him the fish" saying.

1. launch the MP3 encoder

2. click on the tab that says "Decode MP3 2 Wav"

3. There are 3 bottom windows. use the left most to go to where store Scipio's sounds.

4. After you have double-click to the folder, the middle window should be populated with all the MP3 files. Select them all.

5. click on the ">>" arrow to move the files into the right most window.

6. Click "Decode"

7. you're done. now to find out where your wav files are stored to. If you haven't touched the "Configure" tab, then the default place will be your "C:\" (the root directory on your C: drive).

8. copy the wave files to the wav folder in your CMBO directory.

Hope this helps. Happy wargaming.

Hi pals,

thanx for your good critics. I'm very happy that you like my sounds smile.gif.

Please excuse the difficulties with the MP3-tool, I have forgotten to put the HowTo file in the zip (it's included now). For all who have already downloaded here's the text:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> After downloading and installing the mp3-tool start the tool and select 'Configure'. On the right side, you can set the decoder settings. Choose outputformat 'wav'. Select the output directory. You can choose the path to the wav subfolder in your CM-folder if you want. In this case you must check also 'always overwrite'. You can also choose any other directory you want, of course.

Then unzip the downloaded files and select in the mp3decoder Decode (MP3 2 wav). On the left you must specify the path to folder with the unzipped mp3 files.

In the middel you should see then a list of filenames like this "00000200.wav" Mark all files you want to decode, click on '>>' and then on 'decode'. The decoding will take a moment, you should see a status message while decoding.

If you haven't choosen the CM-wav subfolder as output directory, you must now manually copy the files into it. You must overwrite the existing files. Don't panic, you have the original sounds saved on you CM-CD.

Start CM

Enjoy!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Scipio ]

Well, it sounds like I better go get these kickass sounds. If they are half as good as everybody is saying they should be a big improvement in the game - sound wise. And thank you Lindan & YECoyte as well as Scipio himself for the "How To" advise. Without these I wouldn't have even tryed but I'll give it a try.

Ok I don't know beans about downloading, decoding or computers period but after getting the "How To'S" from Scipio, Lindan and YECoyote I figured , hell I can follow instructions so tryed downloading the decoder which I did and it's in my "download" folder on my desktop, but when I tryed unzipping it I got the following message. "Could not open the .zip file (C:Windows\Desktop\Downloads\Mpegsuite.zip)

So I am lost. Any body know how a dumb ass can do or go from here? or should I just forget it - (Too hard to do.)

OK

sorry to ask but I'm on a Mac and I "should" know how to deal with this

BUT, how do I make those mp3 sound files into mac system sounds that I can import with the MAC CM mod manager?

THere must be a way to batch process all those mp3's so I can import them with the MAC CM mod manager.

Are there any other mac users out there that have done this?

I have had no problem with other .bmp image mods but the sounds are a little trickier on the Mac

Thanks

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

Some more info - whan it starts downloading it shows the file size as about 750 kb or something like that, but after one minute or so the download complete box comes up but the file size is shown as 57.6 KB......me thinks i am not getting the whole package. Anyone care to e-mail it to me?

Cheers in advance.

CDIC<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

File transmitted

If you go to download.com, there is a much easier to use decoder there called "DBPowerAmp" I got that one and used it. For the PC, once it's installed, all you have to do after you unzip the files is right click on them and select "Convert" Then you specify what you want them converted to and where you want the converted files to go. Much easier in my opinion.

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Wolfpack ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

OK

sorry to ask but I'm on a Mac and I "should" know how to deal with this

BUT, how do I make those mp3 sound files into mac system sounds that I can import with the MAC CM mod manager?

THere must be a way to batch process all those mp3's so I can import them with the MAC CM mod manager.

Are there any other mac users out there that have done this?

I have had no problem with other .bmp image mods but the sounds are a little trickier on the Mac

Thanks

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know a good program that I use on my Mac its called Soundapp PPC. You can convert them to System sound no problem. YOu ll have to do a intrnet search because I got it from a Mac Home CD. Try Download.com.

Don't forget the Mad Dog Mod Pack sound files, either. To my ears, they sound very rich and distinctive, particularly with surround sound and a good subwoofer. You can really feel the heavy guns firing, and the German MG's sound very much like those in Saving Private Ryan--i.e., frighteningly real.

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]