CM Players NYC Gathering

Looks as if those guys in Washington actually pulled it off and had fun.

Anyone in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens or the surrouding areas want to try to meet up for some beers and other refreshments?

Distilled spirits? Baked meats of various sorts? The traditional Stews?

Im sure that even now, our great metropolis is girding its loins to service us.

Maybe we could use this thread as a com center to plan?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

I will be in Manhatten as of next Friday smile.gif

Some of the folks from Philly might drop by some time too. Although they are all Pengers, so should not be mixed with alcohol as per SOPs.

o

Facine

ha! that should spur some debate!

PeterNZ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

next friday? thats the 5th of October, right? I work on 19th and 5th, and can suggest some excellent places to meet up.

Anyone else?

Hmmm... On the fifth of October I have class down on 13th until 9:00 and plans up in midtown at 9:30. That leaves just enough time to stop in and say hello, wherever the meeting convenes.

May I suggest Old Town Bar... and excellent fin de siecle NYC setting now serving pumpkin ale. 45 E. 18th Street between Broadway and Park Ave. :cool:

Village Voice 1999: Best 19th-Century Saloon - Old Town Bar You may remember it from the opening titles of Late Night With David Letterman: the Old Town Bar, a fixture in the Flatiron District since 1892. It's far more accessible than the overcrowded McSorley's, and the range of drinks is more copacetic as well. Remember that a quorum of three is required most times of day for the handsome dark-wood booths, and act accordingly. Note: the bar food is a notch above the usual. -Robert Sietsema

I think Peter is working in Mid-town on 5th Ave so your meeting place would be fairly good for him. The Philly crew probably won't be able to make that gig. We are currently in negotiations with Doug Beman about a Sunday early afternoon thing in Philly. I hope Peter can make that one. Peter is spending some time on the west coast too. How funny would it be if h attended several of these things across the US during his stay. Talk about being welcomed to a country.

I will be flying in on the 5th from Redmond etc. Not sure of my timetable. I think i'll be quite central, perhaps manhatten, i dunno.. I'm around park lane or park ave or somefink.

Will be keen to meet up unless work drags me out for boozy drinking

PeterNZ

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Lamb:

Hmmm... On the fifth of October I have class down on 13th until 9:00 and plans up in midtown at 9:30. That leaves just enough time to stop in and say hello, wherever the meeting convenes.

May I suggest Old Town Bar... and excellent fin de siecle NYC setting now serving pumpkin ale. 45 E. 18th Street between Broadway and Park Ave. :cool:

Village Voice 1999: Best 19th-Century Saloon - Old Town Bar You may remember it from the opening titles of Late Night With David Letterman: the Old Town Bar, a fixture in the Flatiron District since 1892. It's far more accessible than the overcrowded McSorley's, and the range of drinks is more copacetic as well. Remember that a quorum of three is required most times of day for the handsome dark-wood booths, and act accordingly. Note: the bar food is a notch above the usual. -Robert Sietsema

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old Town is a good choice on any other day but on Friday it will be JAMMED and noisy as hell. Not sure we'd be able to snag a table or hear eachother talk.

I'd dig getting a chance to meet some fellow CMers myself. I'm up on 109th near Columbia myself, but anywhere on Manhattan is good for me. . .

Any half decent bar on a friday night is going to be PACKED, unless someone has connections somewhere and can get us a back room. . .

I, alas, am not one of those people with connections.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Old Town is a good choice on any other day but on Friday it will be JAMMED and noisy as hell. Not sure we'd be able to snag a table or hear eachother talk.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good points. I'm up for anything in that general vacinity... just hoping to make it convenient so I can swing by :D

Good points. I'm up for anything in that general vacinity... just hoping to make it convenient so I can swing by :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, ive done a little careful research of my own, and here is my proposal.

There's a place called Burp Castle, on 7th St. between 2nd and 3rd that is relatively quiet and very uncrowded, nearly all the time.

It serves a great variety of excellent beer, too. Their own version of Belgian Ales, plus actual Chimay, Duvel, etc.

The folks who work there purport to be monks aand wear habits but arent.

I know Burp Castle sounds Silly but it actually isnt. Here's a review

"Burp castle (7th St between 2nd and 3rd ave) - Don't be put off by the name or tacky exterior (faux moat). Burp castle has one of the most extensive selections of belgian beer in the city. The waiters dress up like monks (there is even a bona fide hunchback), and the interlor is tastefully painted. you can even carry on a conversation over the classical music."

What do you guys think?

if you guys like the place, (or whatever place we decide on) I can probably get there and stake out a table by 630 or so.

Ill be reading Doubler's "Closing with The Enemy" and prop my CM manual up on the table, :D

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

There's a place called Burp Castle, on 7th St. between 2nd and 3rd that is relatively quiet and very uncrowded, nearly all the time.

It serves a great variety of excellent beer, too. Their own version of Belgian Ales, plus actual Chimay, Duvel, etc.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, that sounds good enough for me to come. I drink my Belgian and Flanders ales each night to make sure I don't lose any weight.

Don't worry about finding a place with attractive women. They have a natural aversion to CM guys, as the Washington crowd can attest. Hehe...

Good luck with it!

Jake

Yo Yankee Dog... Uptown Local is in the house! I'm on 110th betwixt Amsterdam and Broadway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, I've probably rubbed shoulders with you on the street!! I'm on the corner of Amsterdam and 109th. Probably won't be here for to much longer, tho - i'm looking to buy a place (take advantage of those low interest rates while I can. . .).

Anyway, this Belgian castle place sounds good to me - I'm all about good, strong beer. I'd probably be there earlier rather than late - Friday night the G-friend usually locks up most of my time pretty good. :rolleyes:. Yeah, I'm whipped. I can sneak out for a couple, tho.

Yo Yankee Dog... Uptown Local is in the house! I'm on 110th betwixt Amsterdam and Broadway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Yankee Dog, Dan Lamb I grow up around there use to live on 111th st between Amsterdam and Broadway. How's the West End bar like these days? I use to hang out there in the mid to late 70's. Did any of you guys grow up around there?

SS Peiper

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: SS Peiper ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SS Peiper:

Hey Yankee Dog, Dan Lamb I grow up around there use to live on 111th st between Amsterdam and Broadway. How's the West End bar like these days? I use to hang out there in the mid to late 70's. Did any of you guys grow up around there?

SS Peiper

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: SS Peiper ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I moved to the city about 6 years ago after I finished college - I first moved into Washington Heights, then to W. 93rd St. for a while. Been where I am now for about 6 months. Still getting to know the hood - I'll have to go check out the West End bar and tell you what I think. I'd like to stay around here if I can - If I can find a good place in the hood to buy, I will.

The West End's the same it's always been, full of noisy Columbia undergrads. I went up to see friends recently and they've apparently remodelled the inside; cleaned it up a bit. Now that the whole Morningside Heights area is getting gentrified, the West End's moving with the rest...

I used to be on 120th and Morningside, which wasn't so great in the mornings trundling off to school (my EYES!!!)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triumvir:

I used to be on 120th and Morningside, which wasn't so great in the mornings trundling off to school (my EYES!!!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Triumvir I grow up on La Salle st. Before I moved to 111st. I live in the Bronx now, So this CM Gathering sounds cool come on guys pick a place to meet.

SS Peiper