Operations in CM2

While BTS has gone above and beyond the call of duty in addressing fan concerns and suggestions regarding CM2, one issue which I have not yet seen too many comments on is the subject of Operations.

Before I start let me say that I hope this thread does not turn into a campaign for campaigns and such. We have heard about those issues aplenty, and I am sure we will hear of them again.

In CMBO, operations are both the most rewarding and frustrating experiences avaliable. Rewarding in that you aviod inane stuff like gamey flag rushes and have to think about things like keeping reserves, etc. Frustruating mainly in the way front lines are recalcualted and in the AIs inept behavior as one wears on.

First off, I ask BTS what, if anything, they are doing with operations, especially in improving the start line routines? Will scenario designers be allowed to define 'phase lines' and such in operations?

Are flags going to be included? I also suggest considering the inclusion of 'faux' flags for scenario designers to channel and direct the AI with but that would not be apparent to players.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments. And I again implore people not to turn this into a pro-campaign platform.

WWB

Considering past posts from BTS about the inter-battle front line calculations, I don't expect much will change here. Initially (before release) CMBO had a non-straight front line setup between battles, however there were complications with this that couldn't be resolved. So the front lines ended up being straight across the field, depending on the unit furthest to the front, etc. It would be nice if this could be changed, especially for urban combat where throwing a line too far forward or back can have a VERY negative impact on the whole operation. Maybe something can be done, but if the past is any indication I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on this particular point.

As for 'phase lines' and flags, I'm not sure about their inclusion in operations. I don't know about any intent to include phase-lines, but I know some people have asked for the flags (AI-only oriented ones or standard). I'd admit that they would be real nice to include, but I'm not sure what changes are intended for operations at this point.

Schullenraft, I am aware of the history. They have been pretty mum about the issue and I was hoping to provoke some sort of answer, or at least a discussion of the problem. Out of all I posted up there, Faux Flags is probably the easiest to implement since it will require no additional AI programming. Not to mention these flags could be added to scenarios as well, to help guide the sometimes-unitelligent AI around.

As it stands now you pretty much have to setup operations with 0m of no man's land to have any semblance of realism. The other thing scenario designers can do is make the map so that there are natural lines of cover perpindicular to the axis of advance, thus playing into the current system's hands.

And please, Panzer Leader, everyone in the world, including my dead grandmother knows you want a campaign. And they don't care.

WWB

Well, as has been mentioned, BTS has said little about what they will do to operations. Here is a paraphrase of ALL their comments to date:

There will be some MINOR adjustments

We are considering adding Victory Flags

Operations will stay pretty much the same way

We tried a different system of drawing front lines, but it caused too many problems.