Heavy SMG squad flaw

This was reported by Lurker, a member of my ladder: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I noticed that the VG heavy SMG unit has 6 mp40s and 2 mg42s but that the 2 mg42s only have a combined firepower of 40 at close range instead of the normal 50 each. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked it with the same result. The SS Motorized Squad has the correct firpower : two LMG42 with 100 together.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

This was reported by Lurker, a member of my ladder:

I checked it with the same result. The SS Motorized Squad has the correct firpower : two LMG42 with 100 together.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is not a bug. The reduction in firepower is because there are no belt feeders for the Heavy SMG squad, but the SS Motorized Squad has enough men to have riflemen act as belt feeders thereby increasing the MG42's firepower to full strength.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

I think this is not a bug. The reduction in firepower is because there are no belt feeders for the Heavy SMG squad, but the SS Motorized Squad has enough men to have riflemen act as belt feeders thereby increasing the MG42's firepower to full strength.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about the saddle drums which require no feeder ?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

I think this is not a bug. The reduction in firepower is because there are no belt feeders for the Heavy SMG squad, but the SS Motorized Squad has enough men to have riflemen act as belt feeders thereby increasing the MG42's firepower to full strength.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice argument, but a reduction of 60% is a little bit to much. And why is it bigger at 500m? 38 compared to 36 at SS Mot

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

Nice argument, but a reduction of 60% is a little bit to much. And why is it bigger at 500m? 38 compared to 36 at SS Mot<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At 500m the rifle guys, who help the lmg42, use their rifles once again (the gain is better than not using the rifles). In the SMG squad, there is no use for the MP40 at that range, so helping the lmg42 makes more sense.

Scipio, it's spelled out in the thread I linked above.

It's basically just a short cut. Instead of having the 2 MP40's not fire, they just subtract out the MP40's firepower from the MG42's, but then have the MP40's fire. So, you get the exact same effective firepower, it's just added up differently.

The reason there is such a large drop is becasue the firepower of two MP40's subtracted from the MG42's at 40m is MUCH larger then the firepower of 2 Kar98's at 40m. If you add back those extra weapons, you'll see that the MG42's firepower is exactly the same.

Again, this is spelled out well in the thread I mentioned in my other post.

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tero:

What about the saddle drums which require no feeder ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if they used drums then the firepower would still be reduced to account for the frequent reloading. The MG42's rate of fire is so high that using the drums is inconvenient. A 1 second squeeze of the trigger shoots about 20 rounds, IIRC. 5 squeezes would drain the drum and the gunner would have to reload the gun himself. In heavy firing a gunner could realistically drain a drum in 10 seconds. It would probably take about 10 seconds to reload the gun. That's 50% down time, not mentioning barrel changes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Scipio, it's spelled out in the thread I linked above.

Ben<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, got it. Everything must be said twice to me :(.

BTW, ammo drums were AFAIK only used on the MG34, not on the MG42.