PBEM Directory Structures

So in keeping with the "file naming" thread, I thought I would add this thread about how everyone sets up their directories for PBEM.

Here's mine:

Within the PBEM directory, I create a subdirectory for each person I'm playing against. Any incoming files I get get saved to this directory. I use the sequential numbering scheme, so everything in this dir will end up being either even or odd...

chuck2.txt

chuck4.txt

etc...

thus it's pretty easy to tell which file to open, and the files I'm going to send don't get mixed up as files I'm going to send end up in the main PBEM directory. Which brings up a thought: can you specify a full path name in the "Save" dialog box that comes up? I hadn't ever really thought about it, but I would think you could.

I'd like to hear what others are doing, as I'm writing yet another CM utility do get/send files in the background, so that when you're in the middle of 5 or 6 PBEMs and you're cranking out turns, you don't have to bother going to your email program, getting the files, copying them where they go, etc. You just hit load, and go...

Also do you prefer getting files zipped or as plain text files?

I actually prefer plain text, as it eliminates a step, and with DSL, transmission time is negligable. Unless I'm getting the files through yahoo, which embeds the damn things...

I save everyone's files with sequential numbers to my PBEM directory. When I send a file, I send the latest one. When the directory gets too big, I delete all but the last file. I have no interest in going back and looking at old mistakes.

------------------

Woot! - Maximus2k

The New CessPool

i do the same thing Windopaene:

create a directory for each person i play. and OS keeps every file in alphabetical order. so getting the correct file is a snap it is the last file in that directory. and when i send a file it too is the last file with the person i am playing in the PBEM directory.. so i don't need one click to attach a file to my e-mail. and besides i don't have to load another program to play or send files.. that keep the OS from expending system resources so i don't have any problem playing the game..

I'm sorry Arien but I don't understand the last part of your message...

"so i don't need one click to attach a file to my e-mail. and besides i don't have to load another program to play or send files.. that keep the OS from expending system resources so i don't have any problem playing the game.."

Are you saying you've written your own "background" program to do this, or do you mean something else?

I do my directories a little differently, because I couldn't train my PBEM opponent to name the file 'gamename01' instead of 'gamename1'. Without that leading zero, the files get tangled after a while when Windows lists them, because 'gamename10' comes between 'gamename1' and 'gamename2' alphabetically.

I use the /PBEM directory for all current files. That way the path on WinZip and the email program always stays the same when I'm doing simultaneous PBEMs.

Then I have a system of folders underneath PBEM that are archival. Every week or so, I move files out of the /PBEM directory into the appropriate archival folder, so that the /PBEM folder stays clean and I never have to search through a mass of files to find the current one.

Every week or so? Why do you keep an archive of old pbem turns. I just dump all mine into the /pbem directory and someday when I am bored or running out of space, or when it gets too cluttered to find my games I will delete them. But then, I am lazy by nature. Speaking of numbering, if computers are so advanced and intelligent, why can't they learn to count. Any 2 yr old knows 2 comes before 10, why doesn't my Athlon know this simple fact?

------------------

And King Xerxes looked to King Leonidas and spoke. "Our Archers will rain arrows down upon you to blot out the sun."

And King Leonidas replied: "Then we will fight in the shade."

Hey there PL, I assume you mean because 2 appears after 10 when the files are displayed in an "Open" dialog? It's a string thing. If you have the 02 and 10 it would sort correctly.

BTW, did you get the last turn I sent to you a couple of days ago? Been waiting to get one back from you...

To Leonidas:

It's simple enough to rename the files yourself and insert the missing 0's.

I use the same system as most people here: I keep recieved files in the pbem directory and move the processed files to subdirectories - typically one for each game, but often grouped after the opponents. This way it is simple for me to keep track of the games I need to respond to.