Multiplayer Network Support?

Are there any moves afoot to allow multiplayer (ie more than one player per side) games of CM or CM2 during Network play or Email?????

Online games with 4 or 6 players are exceedingly fun, and this would allow large battles without taking hours to draft each turn (ie each player control a couple of companies).

Prior to CM arriving on the scene, I used to play alot of EFII and the multiplayer Network battles were definitely the best.

I surfed into a site dealing with the upcoming GI Combat - which looks like a shameless rip-off of CM, incidentally - and they appear to be supporting this.

While I agree that it would be interesting to have multiple players per side, I'm pretty sure it won't be in CM2. I think it would be particularly interesting if one player would be the infantry commander and the other the tank commander and THEN try to coordinate your forces. :D

If anything, it might be in the engine rewrite called CMII that will be an all encompassing game combining CM through CM3 or CM4 (all European fronts, all time periods) that probably won't be out for a couple of years. You might want to check the CM and CM2 FAQ for the full details.

I think the multiplayer support in G.I. Combat will be much more important for it's initial release since it is continuous or real time and would be about the only way to control larger forces. As for it being a "shameless rip-off" of CM, I don't think so. It is realtime and focuses on a smaller scale (indivual men). Granted, it might be trying to exploit the success of CM and the current popularity of WWII (i.e. Band of Brothers).

My 2 cents...

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: sitzkrieg ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

Um CM4 is early war (France, Poland,ect.) not all Eourpean fronts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't saying CM4 is all European fronts. I was saying CMII (engine rewrite) would be all European fronts. But then again, look who I'm replying to. :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

I wasn't saying CM4 is all European fronts. I was saying CMII (engine rewrite) would be all European fronts. But then again, look who I'm replying to. :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then again you are still wrong :rolleyes: Aren't these smilies wonderful? ;)

Ron

Quote: I think it would be particularly interesting if one player would be the infantry commander and the other the tank commander and THEN try to coordinate your forces.

That would be an excellent idea. I could really get behind something like that. I'm all excited just thinking of the idea. :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

I wasn't saying CM4 is all European fronts. I was saying CMII (engine rewrite) would be all European fronts. But then again, look who I'm replying to. :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you read what I quoted then you would see that you said that CM4 was going to be all Eourpe. So don't :rolleyes: at me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

If you read what I quoted then you would see that you said that CM4 was going to be all Eourpe. So don't :rolleyes: at me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Rob, if you would re-read what I posted originally and had the reading comprehension above a 7-year old, you could maybe understand what I was trying to say.

What Sitz was saying was that CMII will be a game that encompasses CM1 through CMX, so will cover the same battle areas/time periods as CM1 thru CMX. Therefore CMII will be almost all the European fronts across almost the entire span of WW2.

He was not saying that "CM4 will be all European fronts."

DjB