Anyone done the battle of Woensdrecht before?

I think I would like to do a scenario on this. Apparently the Germans viewed the holding of this village as essential because if they lost it they would lose access to their force on the Island of Walcheren. It was at this location on October 13 '44 where the regiment the Black Watch marched forwards to their deaths, an event that is referred to as "Black Friday." Does anyone know where I could access more information about this battle or terrain? Photographs and topographical/contour maps would be really important.

I started a map (I am more interested in the battle of Hoogerheide. If you email me I can point you to some info.

I have a colour version of that map at my Calgary HIghlanders website that is easier to see as well as an aerial photo. The first link shows a sketch by Copp's wife, showing placement of buildings.

http://highlanders.freehosting.net/hoogerheide.htm

http://highlanders.freehosting.net/beveland.htm

------------------

CANUCK: Clothing, Equipping and Employing the Canadian Soldier in Combat Mission

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 03-04-2001).]

Hmm interesting map. I'm having trouble seeing the dyke-embankments though...are they incorporated into the rail line? I'm going to have to find a map with smaller scale too. There's supposed to be a railway road crossing in the general direction of the Black Watch advance yet I'm having trouble seeing it though. Maybe I'll go scan what I have and post it here.

Hi near Woensdrecht is a Dutch airforce base.

I think they can provide you maps if you ask for it.

Their will probably be people who can tell you about the fights.

I shall see if I can find a link to the Dutch airforce on internet.

I let you know

The hard part is getting the forces right, especially the Germans. Kampfgruppe Chill fought in this area - I have some detailed info on them if anyone wants to contact me - most of it I got from Tug of War by Whitaker, but also I believe some info from posters at the German Army messageboard I visit.