The building model.

Practically everyone has expressed a desire for a more versatile building model, especially for CM2, whether it's fancy shapes, partial rubble, or whatever. Question is: how to do it? Would it be easier to implement some of these requests if buildings were modelled as vehicles rather than terrain?

One method would be to model a building as a collection of structural "parts" rather than one entity.

Any damage would be assessed against one (or multiple) part/s of the structure (depending on the type of weapon used against it), and the graphics amended accordingly.

Of course this would place more demand on CPU.

Modelling buildings as vehicles would introduce a whole muddle of weirdnesses. We'd get buildings getting knocked out by weak spot penetrations, failing to block LOS, and being rotatable in the pregame setup.

I like Mace's idea better, although as he said, I think it'd be a CPU hog - moreso in the turn resolution stage than in the actual playback, I'd imagine, but even so I'm sure the game's speed would take a hit.

I think the most likely solution for CM2 will be for BTS to include more types of buildings, including multi-tile buildings (ie factories) and higher buildings (the Stalingrad silo comes to mind).

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, we have said for a while now that we will do more with buildings for CM2. We really wanted to with CM1, but fears of CPU cycle overload and VRAM limitations kept our building types modest.

As for HOW we will improve buildings for CM2... we have several ideas but have not decided on which one. Yes, modular buildings is one idea, simply expanding the building set is another other.

Steve