Assault vs. Defend

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

I'll probably be starting a BCE (Brigade Combat Exercise) for people generally interested in learning tactics and working in an environment greater than just CM engagements (thus fitting a context to each game) this summer. Historical TOE's will be used. Will need 10 players, 3 battalion commanders per side, one brigade commander per side, one reconaissance squadron commander per side.

Will be using the excellent COCAT software and CMMC rules. See www.combatmission.com CMMC for more on those.

- Adam<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh geez that sounds great. I would LOVE to join in.

MrSpkr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

I'll probably be starting a BCE (Brigade Combat Exercise) for people generally interested in learning tactics and working in an environment greater than just CM engagements (thus fitting a context to each game) this summer. Historical TOE's will be used. Will need 10 players, 3 battalion commanders per side, one brigade commander per side, one reconaissance squadron commander per side.

Will be using the excellent COCAT software and CMMC rules. See www.combatmission.com CMMC for more on those.

- Adam<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like something I would enjoy, Pillar. If you have any spots left open, Ill be there.

Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Londoner:

I agree m8, intel' is critical. However, in my experience, on the defence there is no need for this recon/screening force as you suggest, unless your were defending on a heavily wooded map. As long as you have at least one unit in a 2nd floor building or on a hill, you can get the gist of any large scale enemy movement without having to sacrifice anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with this strategy. If your opponent has half a brain, as soon as he realizes that there are two story buildings with lines of sight to his units in or behind your set up area, he will concentrate on levelling those buildings. This denies you needed intelligence AND reduces the risk of artillery barrages to him.

The best way is still to have snipers or half-squads on a forward line. They can run like heck before the enemy can overwhelm them (the withdraw command is wonderful for this) and provide you lots of good intel.

BTW M8 - I LOVE the Puppchen idea. I may have to try that next time out!

MrSpkr