Scenario designers - I need your input

First off, thanks to you guys that spend the time to put new scenarios together giving us new challenges and keeping the game "fresh".

On The Proving Grounds I'm beginning to work on the scenario testing portion of the site (the "proving grounds" so to speak). What I'm wanting to know is what features would you as designers want in a site where people will be downloading your "alpha" and "beta" versions of new scenarios and (hopefully) giving you feedback.

What can be done to encourage feedback? What kind of ratings/feedback would be most helpful to you? What suggestions do you have for this grand idea of mine?

Any/all help/suggestions appreciated.

GJK

GJK,

Good effort! Your dedication is most impressive.

However, I am finding that more and more that people are not willing to give good feedback unless they really, really like a scenario, which, of course, is not the type of scenario that needs feedback.

There are probably a dozen scenario designers who know their craft, the rest are either hopeless, learning or on the verge of greatness. How do you get those who know what a good scenario looks like to give feedback? Do you create a panel of "proven" designers? Or do you want players to give feedback?

So many questions, so few answers.

Good luck.

-Spookster

There are some great scenario designers out there. There are also some really outstanding and upcoming designers. I recently reviewed an operation map from snorri that took my breath away - what an outstanding job he did on that map!

I applaud what you are doing GJK, please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

jw

As a newer scenario designer it would be good to have some constructive feedback on my scenarios from more experienced scenario designers. You cannot do Beta versions with out it. I’ve found my CMBO operation scenarios on Scenario Depot do not get reviewed even though I know people are playing them :( ( I have found a few people who have played them through my own PBEM play and people who email me about them) and like them smile.gif . I know most people are playing CMBB but I feel there is so much great historical stuff from the western front that has not been cover yet. I also admit that I am waiting for CMAK before doing any major historical projects. I look forward to placing some of my best work on the Proving Grounds as well as using it for a place to find people to Play. Good Work :D:D :cool: .

Sanman

Thanks all!

I need to go ahead and stay true to my committment to building the scenario testing/reporting section of the site and so I will.

Overall I've been pleased to see that the opponent finder portion of the site does seem to be getting used. I think we're gaining a new member just about every day. I know that I've found a match through it, hopefully others are too (besides just you Lou smile.gif

I have a feeling that many scenarios would be uploaded, though I'm not too confident that the feedback will be there...and I knew this going in based off of what I see at the Depot. The one twist though that I can see is sort of a "what do you want to see in this scenario?" type of feature where us non-scenario designer's can make suggestions/requests for ideas - be it terrain layout or equipment, or whatever - for a scenario that is still in the beta phase and thus can possibly accept some of those requests. That might encourage some feedback, although it just might be for "what I want" and not "what I think you could do to improve it" or "what's good and what's not so good about what you have so far".

I'll begin work on it probably over the weekend, and I'll initially just put in what I think is needed. I'm always open for suggestions and requests, so if someone has something that they'd like to see in the scenario testing portion, or for the opponent finder, or for a whole new idea, I'd love to hear it.

One feature could be "This Scenario I'd Like To Play", ie. you could request for scenarios about certain battle, or some type of action, size, forces, whatever. That way designers would know better what kinds of battles are expected from them, and they could even get some marvelous ideas to implement.

Simple but yet great idea. I was thinking in the frame of mind that the scenarios were already underway in development but yeah, a source for designer's to go for ideas on new scenario's with input from others.

We'll do!