OT - Worst games of all time

Checkers. So many more people would be playing chess without it.

For computer games, I haven't really gotten burned yet, because I play the demos over and over. Fallout was about the worst, totally incomprehensible, and the slowest game I had ever played on my Mac 6500/225.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

iPanzer 44. 2D soldiers fully rendered in 3D.

Soldiers at War. It was the forerunner of the maligned Has-blow Squad Leader.

A couple of folks have mentioned Patriot. I had only a brief experience with it on a firend's machine. It didn't seem bad but we couldn't figure out how it was a game. It seemed like a computer generated replay of the real Gulf War.

Polar wrote:

For me, the descision was easy: Descent to Undermountain

Now, sit down before reading rest of this post. Actually, if you want to keep your sanity, you better stop reading.

I saw "Descent to Undermountain" on shelves of _two_ different game shops (entirely different companies) and both had _full_ price tag (~270 mk/~$45). This was two or three months ago. The shops were Dose in Helsinki and Stockman in Tapiola, for those who don't believe this without seeing and don't mind a trip to Finland.

- Tommi

Originally posted by tss:

Polar wrote:

For me, the descision was easy: Descent to Undermountain

Now, sit down before reading rest of this post. Actually, if you want to keep your sanity, you better stop reading.

I saw "Descent to Undermountain" on shelves of _two_ different game shops (entirely different companies) and both had _full_ price tag (~270 mk/~$45). This was two or three months ago. The shops were Dose in Helsinki and Stockman in Tapiola, for those who don't believe this without seeing and don't mind a trip to Finland.

- Tommi

AGGHHH!!!

That store should be taken up on criminal charges.

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

I wouldn't rate DX as one of the worst, because its ambition is laudable, but it certainly was overhyped. It bored me to tears after a while, despite the impressive attempts at creating a shooter/RPG/adventure hybrid in a well-detailed world.

Here's a true turd of a game: High Impact Paintball, surely one of the stinkiest shooters ever made. Happily, it was given to me, so I never actually wasted a cent on it smile.gif In fact, I literally wouldn't buy it for a penny....

------------------

When men are inhuman, take care not to feel towards them as they do towards other humans.

--Marcus Aurelius

The most disappointing game I ever bought was "WARGAMER - NAPOLEAN 1813" from Empire (and I just noticed the typo in the title I copied from Empire.co.uk).

It sounded very promising but on my machine it crashed every few minutes. Worse than that the campaign system didn't seem to work properly. I finally gave up when I tried a battle. Watching my routed cavalry charging backwards was enough to put me off completely. Has anyone had any luck with this game and is it worth the effort?

A few years ago I played Fields of Glory (another Napoleonic wargame) and although flawed this 7-8 year old game was far better than "Wargame-1813"

Originally posted by Roborat:

Worst ever, easily is BattleCruiser3000

no explanation required, but if you want details, it was completely unplayable and impossible to figure out the interface. I kept my copy only to show to other people the worst game ever (plus the fact that I wouldn't feel right even giving it to someone else, much less selling it). And the guy who wrote the game (I forget his name, on purpose I think) has got to be the most conceited, egotistical idiot ever. Go to oldmanmurray, they roast him pretty good.

I concur. I got this game for a £5 out of some dodgy shop, and it is totally unplayable. I think there are about 10 patches for it now to make it close to working

The creator is a chap called Derek Smart and I believe has the honour of being involved in the longest ( maybe first) flame war ever, due to his above qualities and crappy game. Yes he does seem a bit of a tit.

Way back in '92 I remember reading an article about the "Mad Genious" Mr. Smart... he was supposed to be the last solo game designer, and BC3K was his opus.

Now 8 years later it is still, essentially, in production and he is making friends and enemies like some strange cult leader.

Smart is like Romero without the hair and personality. biggrin.gif

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

My absolute worst: SSI's "Great Naval Battles" #5 (I think)--"Burning Steel, the Mediterranean". My Gawd, where to start...? Being able to sink the entire Italian fleet, including modern BBs, by gunfire from a single squadron of Brit CLs. The way the game always crashed when airplanes were involved. The totally unplayable (due to instant crashes) campaign mode. The incredible ugliness of the ship graphics, to include using the same *sprites* (not models) for many classes of ship. Plus they had nothing below the waterline, so when the ship stood on end while sinking, you saw no lower hull.

Microprose's "Pacific Air War" was another total dog. The planes just fell out of the sky when inverted so you needed like 10000 feet to do a split-S. The P-39s and P-40s could out-turn Zekes. The AI had an incredible penchant for mid-air collisions. The ships were about 1/4 scale compared to the planes so squadrons couldn't launch from CVs without massive taxi collisions on deck, and if you somehow avoided that, you didn't have enough runway to take off.

"European Air War" wasn't much better. Although the AI didn't ram so much, it still only knew 1 way to fight: turn and burn, even in P47s and Typhoons. Plus there was NOTHING in the air except your squadron and you "date", and if you missed your rendezvous time with the enemy, you wouldn't see anything that mission despite flying all the way to Berlin. No way to edit waypoints even as squadron leader--all rank got you was more AI subordinants to ignore your in-flight orders. Top this off with a flight model that had torque effects, etc, but NO TRIM CONTROLS for the pilot.....

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.