Bomb the attacker's deployment area ??

Bomb the attacker's deployment area

at the beginning of the game, if your

opponent do that.

Do you think it is gamey ?? Will you do it ??

I think the BTS should increase this

area, and I think it is gamey, I won't

be doing that. Otherwise, I wish I can

have a bigger deployment area to hide my

troops.

Post your opinion , folks .

------------------

Staff Sgt. Huang

I LOVE my country, but my

government suc*s.

Guest Madmatt

>>Should BTW modify the map

and give both sides a neutral

zone for the reserves, where can't be

bombed. <<

Really? And where exactly in reality on a battlefield do these areas exist?

Also, what do you mean by BOMB? You mean drop artillery on them? Well in the majority of battles the deployment areas are out of sight of each other during setup and any artillery that you could call in would be delayed several turns (even with direct LOS) and also much more in-accurate. The setup areas are also quite large, how would you know where to plot your artillery?

Your proposal doesn't make any sense really.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-20-2001).]

Sgt H,

War is Hell and you take any advantage you get. Artillery is a powerful tool and using it to break up an incoming attack is accepted practice. If you are the attacker you just have to take into account in your force selection and setup to minimise the effects of an artillery bombardment.

It's not nice when you lose you favourite unit, but that's the risk you take. Having a 'safe' area I think is unrealistic and does not reward good play, which includes an appreciation of the terrain as well as the enemy's intentions. In your setup you can also use reverse slopes to minimise the effects of any bombardment

I'm sure if you were the defender the first thing you would be doing is selecting a few TRP's...I would.

Read this defence tutorial and see how Arty is used: http://www.geocities.com/fpd131/

Nebelwerfer 150mm are great for this. They're dirt cheap, and their accuracy doesn't suffer that much from blind firing. Don't know how much it rattles an opponet, but if you have 60 extra points, go for it.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Nebelwerfer 150mm are great for this. They're dirt cheap, and their accuracy doesn't suffer that much from blind firing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With that kind of "accuracy" I think you actually benefit from blind firing! The last time I used 'werfers - even with spotted firing - I think they did more damage to my own forces than to the enemy. redface.gif

I don't think you can declare a part of the map "off-limits" to artillery fire. There are plenty of examples of startlines coming under direct and indirect fire, and plenty of examples of attacks being broken up even before they get started.

------------------

"He belongs to a race which has coloured the map red, and all he wants are the green fields of England..."

- Joe Illingworth, Yorkshire Post War Correspondent

[This message has been edited by Sirocco (edited 01-20-2001).]

To Madmatt :

You just need 45 seconds to drop

your 105mm arty shells on your targeting

area if your arty spotter has LOS,

do you know that ?? How ?? Buy yourself

target reference point and put it at

where you want to bomb (or shell) !!

Even in the attacker's deployment area.

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

------------------

Staff Sgt. Huang

I LOVE my country, but my

government suc*s.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Huang:

To Madmatt :

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huang,

I've done this a few times, you know what generally happens? Your TRPs are put in the wrong place and you end up wasting the cost. It's a crap shoot, trying to guess where the enemy is going to stage. Also, if you have LOS to his staging area, he's not picking a good staging area.

------------------

"My mortar refuses to fire! He's Yellow!"

-Me

"Send him to CM2."

-Mace

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Huang:

To Madmatt :

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who ever said war was fair..

Besides, you could buy a whole mess of TRPs and then be greeted by a Map where you DON'T have LOS into the enemies deployment area or the map itself could be quite large. Two turns into the battle while you are wasting your artillery on the edge of the map a good opponent would already be in position and ready to fight.

Harrasmement and Interdiction was a very common use for artillery and if you want to Prep an area that you *think* might contain enemy units than knock yourself out. I see nothing gamey about it.

Madmatt

Marshall Zjoekov conversation with General Heirici.(april 45.Seelow heights)

Zjoekov. please general don't retreat your forces from your setup position(in this case the defensive line) I have about 20000 artillery pieces ready for shelling.

I consider it very gamey if you would retreat and my shelling would cause no harm to you.

Heinrici. No I shall not do that.

As the attacker, I make a point of been speedy in my assault, especially if my advance is covered by terrain. If the terrain is not covered, I present a target of maybe a squad or even a platoon for the enemy to bombar with all he has. Meanwhile, my actual attack force is sneaking through wooden areas.

As a defender, I dont buy much arty anyway. I much prefer the comfort of hidden AT and Infantry guns to take their place. It is usually much more of an annoyance to the attacker as he has to concentrate his own arty and man power on destroying the gun. This can be very difficualt if the gun is in wooden terrain and protected by an infantry screen.

Basically, this really isnt a problem for the attacker and not much of a strategy for a defender. Unless you are playing on a tiny map and the defender bought himself Elite spotters, youre pretty much safe if you play it smart.

PS: I think this will actually be more of a problem on the Eastern front, where the Soviets had a fantastical amount of Arty to throw at the Germans. If BTS chooses to represent Arty realistically, preliminary Soviet bombardments could win or lose a game for that player.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 01-21-2001).]

Well I don't know if that is too gamey. I know that we used H&I (Harassment and Interdiction FYI,but gotta feeling that most here knew that already! smile.gif )fire in Vietnam. I'm assuming that it would have been used on suspected marshalling areas in WW2 also providing you had the ammo. Dunno about that historically though but it makes sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

I think he just wants the QBs to be more even.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does taking a shot and shelling a potentially empty area make a QB less even?

In any decent-sized map there tend to be 3 or 4 good jump off points. So assuming that you have bought TRPs (because if you haven't, the enemy will have left that spot before you can start shelling it anyway), chances are you've still missed and wasted a fair amount of points shelling empty woods.

My feeling is, if you guess right, good for you. Chances are you won't.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super