Arrrrgh! BTS, PLEASE consider changing this...

For the second time now, I have lost hours upon hours of work on a custom scenario when, in the course of playtesting it, I accidentally saved over the game file. This is due to the fact that CM dumps both created scenarios and saved games in progress into the same directory (and my own stupidity in temporarily forgetting this and saving over my own work). Please BTS, I implore you, make the scenario creator files go into the scenario directory and saved games in progress go into the saved games directory, so that this horror never happens again.

Well, I'm off to slit my wrists...probably 20 hours of work down the tubes. Oh, I am SO pissed right now...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubbies Phan:

Well, this looks like a thread in which to ask this.

Will CMBO be somehow or somewhat retrofitted with enhancements from CMBB given certain limitations of course into what you could easily write into the CMBO executable?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No

Okay perhaps my above answer was weee bit breif.

There was a time when we had hoped that perhaps we could retrograde CMBO with some of the neat stuff we were going to put into CMBB. That was quickly discovered to not be possible due to the overwhelming changes and additions not only revolving around features but with internal file format and code structure changes.

There is no way for us to "cut out" something in CMBB and stick it into CMBO.

Now what we will do and have said this all along is re-address the Western Front in the future and that new game will not only benefit from all the stuff we learned while making CMBB but it will also almost certainly be built utilizing an all new game engine with all sorts of enhancements and improvements across the board.

Madmatt

Scipio,

He said it would be a new engine. Our current mods will look lame compared to what will be available at that time. Look at a five year old game. See how primitive it looks now. Five years from now, today's games will look just as primitive. Computing power doubles every 18 months or so. This is a good thing.

smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Williams:

Scipio, he said it would be a new engine. Our current mods will look lame compared to what will be available at that time. Look at a five year old game. See how primitive it looks now. Five years from now, today's games will look just as primitive. Computing power doubles every 18 months or so. This is a good thing. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is talking about five years? I hope CMBB will be already out in less then 5 month!

Haven't you seen the CMBB screen shots? All I know about the graphics is that they use Hi-Res textures instead of the CMBO Low-Res. Well, all my mods are HiRes anyway, I only want to know if CMBB also use the same file format - bmp and wav.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

Who is talking about five years? I hope CMBB will be already out in less then 5 month!

Haven't you seen the CMBB screen shots? All I know about the graphics is that they use Hi-Res textures instead of the CMBO Low-Res. Well, all my mods are HiRes anyway, I only want to know if CMBB also use the same file format - bmp and wav.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I only can quote hersey, I believe CMBB still uses BMPs (I don't know about WAV, but I would imagine so). Even without that, CMBB uses the same game engine so it's logical to assume that BMPs and WAVs are still in use. Of course, you know what they say about assuming ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He means when BTS returns to the Western Front using the CMII engine. THAT is about 5 years away once CM3 and CM4 are done.

Scipio,

My mistake. I thought you were referring to importing our current textures for use when BTS "revisits" the western front with the next game engine. I doubt that would work anyway, because I'm sure the next engine will have many more polygons.

Your question is a good one...will we be able to import our current textures into CMBB? I would think so, since both games will have many of the same vehicles and use the same engine.

CMBB will of course be totally modable but you will probably want to make up all new graphics mods as the underlying models of vehicles will have more polygons and the existing texture maps wont really "drape" over them quite right.

We also have some nice surprises in store for you of some "new" stuff that will be modable that wasnt before, or at least not in the same way as before... ;)

Madmatt

Michael, I suspect that you are most correct. I also suspect that those who currently are thinking in mostly CMBO terms will find their time rather reoccupied when they get the new game. Just playing around with the new features and terrain and mapping capability will be just a mite preoccuping to say nothing about a rather different world of units. Besides, just think of all the flameing posts that arguing over grog details and minute game features will create. There may just be a detail or two that will deserve patching and ship load of posts as well. Crossing the Eastern Frontier line may just put Western Europe a little bit on the back burner for a while.