Silly questions?

Ok I have a few questions for you more experienced players out there. I'm pretty sure it's not in the FAQ-so please don't yell at me!

First, I'm reading through the manual and I find it hard to believe that a tank can pass through a 1m high stone wall that is impenatrable [sp?] to a tank round and yet can't get through bocage-how is this possible?

Secondly, I've heard time and time again about the hull down position and I get the purpose of it but i just cant figure out how to do it. It seems that when I position my tank behind a hill with just its turret peaking out, it ends up that i can't see what's on the other side of the hill!! Perhaps someone could explain this

Thanx!

Guest Rob/1

For you second question Hull down is very hard to find...it finds your tank not your tank finding it is what I alwas say.

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 03-02-2001).]

Canuck,

The stone walls which are passable to tanks are generally short and can be "rolled over". Bocage is not. Remember, what you see is a representation.

Bocage is a tangled, earthy, weed-covered hillock. Even if the tank manages to ride up the lose earth, stone covered hillock before the actual vegetation, it will never pass through. It's too damn thick, tangled, etc. Thats why the "rhino teeth" were developed. To cut through the vegetation, thereby allowing the tank to pass.

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Originally posted by Canuck:

First, I'm reading through the manual and I find it hard to believe that a tank can pass through a 1m high stone wall that is impenatrable [sp?] to a tank round and yet can't get through bocage-how is this possible?

Well first of all, every German tank is barred by a boccage tile. However all Allied tanks can pass through them due to the "hedge chopper" that was applied to the front of tanks. The "hedge chopper" was a framework of steel in the shape of a combine attachment that would up-heave and cut through the boccage when a tank plowed into it. The device was simple, yet it worked wonderfully.

And yet, I do believe that this information IS in the manual. Look under Boccage. I don't have my manual handy to give you an exact page #.

Secondly, I've heard time and time again about the hull down position and I get the purpose of it but i just cant figure out how to do it. It seems that when I position my tank behind a hill with just its turret peaking out, it ends up that i can't see what's on the other side of the hill!! Perhaps someone could explain this

Thanx!

OK, you've said that when you take your tanks up to a hill crest and you can't see what's on the other side, just take them a little further. Simple as that. Remember, the graphics are just a representation of *about* where the unit is. Also use "realistic" scaling to better see what the circumstance really is.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

hmm maybe I'll look up bocage on the net for pics

Ok other question-how do these rhino teeth work exactly? I didnt find that the manual described them to well. Are they serated or sharp and cut though it? or do they just kind of push it out of the way?

oops we posted at the same time Maximus! yeah they call them rhino teeth but I just couldnt get a good picture?

So why is it that the tanks in CC5 just plow through the bocage like it's not even there?

hehe ok forget it-im sure im opening up a whole other can of worms with that wink.gif

Heh-heh, you are Cannuck smile.gif

CC5 isnt exactly the most realistic game in the world...

German tanks didnt have rhino teeth by the way, only Allies. Thus, Germans are stuck with dribing around bocage.

Which reminds me of a kill I performed on a Tiger which was hiding behind bocage. I rode a Sherman straight through the bocage some 5 metres behind the Tiger. You can guess what happened next smile.gif

As for how the hedgerow cutters work... They are sometimes named Cullins Hedgerow Cutters for the GI, Cullins, that came up with the idea.

They took steel from beach obstacles, heavy angle irons... steel bent at 90 degrees, like an L and welded it sticking out straight from the tank's front edge.

When the tank got to the hedgerow, instead of starting to drive up and over it, the teeth would grab into the mound and all the tanks momentum and power would be used to push through the hedgerow. It must have been a lot of work and not too fast depending on the power of the tank and the size of the hedgerow. I'm sure the teeth helped cut through some of the lower roots in the hedgerow but a lot of the hedgerow was just pushed out of the way by the tank.

I may be wrong, but that's the way I understand them to work.

Scott Karch

M5Lt-1.jpg

Here's a good pic of the Cullin Hedgerow Device, so-named for its inventor. The teeth dig in to the base of the hedgerow and the whole kit and kaboodle gets pushed ass over teakettle into the field beyond. The benefit to this device is that, because it acts as a plough, the tank does not rise up so much, and doesn't expose its vulnerable belly to the prick with the panzerfaust on the other side.

EDIT: BTW, the implication here is that at least some tanks COULD cross bocage, provided they were powerful enough, but risked a shot through the belly doing so.

------------------

Quo fas et gloria ducunt

Stereotypes

The Un-Rant

[This message has been edited by Forever Babra (edited 03-03-2001).]

Originally posted by Crockett:

You can find some animated gifs showing the Sherman Rhinoceros hedgerow buster in action

and other Sherman Tanks variants

Crockett

Very cool site Crockett. Great movie of the cutter in action. Although, it's a quicktime movie not an animated gif.

Scott