Brummbar in CM2?

Just wondering, since CM2 is gonna be in the Russian front, are we gonna be seeing some of the big German assault guns like the Brummbar? Just wondering since I remember there was one version that had something like 260cm or 320 cm Mortar-looking thing for demolishing buildings and infantry. Armor too if close enough. It was based on the Tiger chassis too. I don't even know if such vehicles were used in the west since there weren't a whole lot like StuGs for example.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Here's an early opinion by BTS (check the date of the thread http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/002626.html

And here's another topic http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/009307.html

A search for Brummbar or strumtiger.will yield tons of results, I didn't post them all.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Belles:

Here seems to be a good place to post a plea for a Maus. Anyone else interested?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...weren't there only like 2 prototypes ever made? The thing never saw action if I recall.

The Brummbar was indeed based on the Tiger chassis and mounted a 380mm gun/tube which fired a rocket assisted round a few meters.

A never heard of that thingy used in anti-tank missions.

During the Battle of the Bulge (Ardennes offensive/Wacht am Rhein) four Brummbar was allocated to a Sturm Morser Bat. (number 1016 or something). I don't know if they saw any significant action. I can dig out some additional info, if you are interested - please send me an e-mail,

Cheers Jonas

You know Forever Babra, about that Sherman "Demolition Tank," I remember seeing a short article/pictures of a model of one of those in a military modeling magazine and how they wanted to produce them if the war did drag on a year longer. I wouldn't mind seeing that but then that opens the Pandora's Box for guys like me to want to see things like the Maus, E-50, E-75, E-100, Panther II/F. The tanks never saw production but I would love to have the chance to see them at least. Also, weren't the Americans also trying to develop some really heavy tank? Saw an article on it couple of years ago and the b/w pictures made it look like a German TD with no turret but a friggin' huge gun.

But back with the Brummbars and Sturmtigers though, I just want to blast those swarming Russian infantry hordes. I can picture some of them flying out of buildings when you bring one to bear on it...BOOM! As far as the AT role, no it wasn't designed for it. But the explosion of it has to be unnerving to a tank crew and can probably immobilize it(tracks). Not an expert on it, just my thoughts. But 380mm's of firepower can't be that bad.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Hmm, sorry....

I became confused about the Brumbär/Sturmtiger.

What I described above was the Sturmtiger.

The Brummbär mounted a 150mm howitzer, and used a PzKfw IV chassis. The Brumbär was used first at Kursk (July-43) together with the Elefant in the JagdPanzer Reg 656. 45 (42?) Brumbär was allocated to the 216 Bat and used as SP-art behind the Elefants.

Brummbärs were used in the Ardennes as well.

So in a future CM2, if indeed this would be located to the Ostfront, the game should include the Brummbär (300 built), however the Sturmtiger is just a bit too odd....

Go to the excellent site: http://www.achtungpanzer.com

to read more,

Cheers Jonas

Copied from http://www.achtungpanzer.com/sttig.htm:

About the Sturmtiger:

On August 28th, after successful debut, it was brought back to Alkett plant in Berlin-Spandau. In the early September of 1944, newly formed PzStuMrKp 1000, equipped

with two Sturmtigers arrived in Warsaw. From August to December 1944, Alkett completed only 18 Sturmtigers which equipped four

Panzer Sturmmorser Kompanie (PzStuMrKp) - 1000, 1001, 1002 and 1003, which served on the Western Front. Each company was to be equipped with 14 Sturmtigers. Seven took part in the Ardennes Offensive (PzStuMrKp1000 and

1001), while most of them took part

in the defensive battles along the River Rhine. Sturmtigers proved be excellent defensive weapon and had to be either destroyed by a heavy artillery bombardment or an air attack. It is reported that once single shot fired by Sturmtiger from

PzStuMrKp 1001 completly destroyed three M4 Shermans.

Cheers Jonas

For the Assault Gun role the current StuGs do nicely and cheaply for it. Though I hate the Shermans for fragility I appreciate the 105 variant for the Assault Gun role better than the Wespe and Hummel. Why? Completely covered/Hard top so a lucky grenade lobs are less likely and gunfire from above elevations aren't as threatening, especially in built up urban terrain where infantry are in their element. As I said before, the StuG's do nicely. But the 88mm equipped Panzers like the Tiger I/II are very adept in Anti-Infantry roles too unlike the 75mm with their larger 'splosions. As I've said lots of times already I want to see that Sturmtiger level some Russian/Allied Infantry.

------------------

Wouldn't it be cool for BTS to release a "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" type expansion for CM?

The purists will scream (maybe rightly so) that they can't be historical anymore... but I'd love it!!

Maus, SturmTiger, even add the Gustav gun as a 200 pt 1 shot supergun. :^)

Call it Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord 1946.... something like that.

Coooooool.

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Belles:

Here seems to be a good place to post a plea for a Maus. Anyone else interested?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmmmmmm....no. As much as the maus is my little baby, it's tactically useless for anything but a large pillbox. It would bog, then immoblize in the first 30 seconds of the game. It'd also be like 2000 points. That and there were only 2 built.

------------------

No bastard has ever won a war by dying for his country. They won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.