Tank crews boarding / exit

Why is it that we can't have our tank crews (or all vehicle crews for that matter) board or exit their vehicles? If this were possible, scenarios dealing with actions like Villers-Bocage (were Wittmann scouted the scene on foot and observed unmanned British armor, with crews lingering around doing other things) could be more realistic. Also, again using the Villers-Bocage example, Wittmann ran out of ammo (and I believe was also low on fuel) for his Tiger, and then ran back to get another Tiger to finish off the job. In CM, when we have a tank suffer an "immobile", we could exit our crack or elite crew, and move them into a "mobile" vehicle. We could also replace crews that have suffered a casualty. I'm no programmer, but would this addition actually be possible?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by themaltese:

Why is it that we can't have our tank crews (or all vehicle crews for that matter) board or exit their vehicles? If this were possible, scenarios dealing with actions like Villers-Bocage (were Wittmann scouted the scene on foot and observed unmanned British armor, with crews lingering around doing other things) could be more realistic. Also, again using the Villers-Bocage example, Wittmann ran out of ammo (and I believe was also low on fuel) for his Tiger, and then ran back to get another Tiger to finish off the job. In CM, when we have a tank suffer an "immobile", we could exit our crack or elite crew, and move them into a "mobile" vehicle. We could also replace crews that have suffered a casualty. I'm no programmer, but would this addition actually be possible?<hr></blockquote>

Possible gamey tactics

When is this realistic?

When would it be seriously exploited for "gamey" tactic exploitation??

I fully support the idea of NEVER allowing tanks or weapons to be re-crewed once abandonded (They were abandoned presumably for a very good reason the first time)

BUT that said

I would be great to evacuate and retreat and dismount crews from immobile vehicles to save their precious hides. As it is now they just sit there and wait for their mount to get blown up from under them!

And then some of them die and the rest run away paniced.

-tom w

Tom, I never mentioned re-crewing abandoned vehicles. With that, I agree that vehicles that are abandoned are done so for some good, incapacitating reason. However, for purposes of scouting or switching crews for some other reason (on functioning vehicles), I don't see a problem.

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: themaltese ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by themaltese:

Tom, I never mentioned re-crewing abandoned vehicles. With that, I agree that vehicles that are abandoned are done so for some good, incapacitating reason. However, for purposes of scouting or switching crews for some other reason (on functioning vehicles), I don't see a problem.

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: themaltese ]<hr></blockquote>

As it stands now crews that abandon tanks have compromised spotting ability so they can't be used in a "gamey" way as expendable forward scouts.

Now what you are suggesting is scouting with tank crews. SO then there would have to be a difference between the spotting ability of a tank crew that you asked to dismount and go out spotting and a tank crew that has abandoned its mount....

I'm not sure BTS will go for this

As it is now with absolute spotting, having ANY other unit walk out in front of the tank for scouting purposes will do exactly the same thing as having the crew dismount and get out and look around. (unless of course you have no other units in which case you are in a tight situation already.)

-tom w

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Now what you are suggesting is scouting with tank crews. SO then there would have to be a difference between the spotting ability of a tank crew that you asked to dismount and go out spotting and a tank crew that has abandoned its mount....<hr></blockquote>

Something similar is already done with shocked crews, no?

As for tank crews exiting the vehicle to scout because of lack of infantry units... Tank commanders scouting the terrain in front of them was a usual act. Wittmann did it. Carius also did it (and was severely injured ((shot 3 times and survived)) during one instance on the Eastern Front. Also, in the first example I cited (Villers-Bocage), it would be nice and more realistic to have scenarios were you catch an enemy unit with "their pants down". The carnage that Wittmann caused speaks volumes in itself mainly because of this element.

I recall in the desert war memoir "Brazen Chariots" by Crisp he would often 'bump' another crew if his machine was stopped. The privelige of command.

But then we'd have to designate rank and chain of command among the CM tanker to be able to 'bump' other crews! A green captain would be able to bump an elite seargent, and if a bailed elite high ranking crew were to loose their driver, would the other unit's driver be commandeered with the 'bump'? This is starting to get complicated.

All this crew bumping has given me an idea.

Why can't CM do open-ended games? No time limit, random (or semi-random) reinforcements. A single game on a board thst could go on for days and days and days (WWI-style). Then there may some benefit overtime to select crew bumping.