"PBEM Helper": All users/wannabe-users Q/A here .....

Hello ...

to all "PBEM Helper" users as well as to those that are considering d/l this pbem automation tool;

Fire away any questions here with regard to the above program, as well any other information/clarification you need for this nifty pbem tool.

Please note the latest discussion and version updates mentioned by Fuerte also here at this thread.

Hopefully Fuerte can find some time to answer all questions here at this ONE thread without dealing with people on an ad hoc basis.

Sincerely

Charl Theron

• 2 weeks later...

There were a few more replies in this thread, but I suppose the server/forum crash a few days ago wiped that off.

In any case, with Madmatt as well as CMBO players requesting info etc. on PBEM Helper, here is the snapshot - again!

Gotta love this utility guys. It's timesaving and and makes pbem'ing as easy as cutting butter with a hot knife. ;)

Wine Cape,

I've read the readme, but I'm still having problems :confused:

I have a couple of PBEM files in the CM folder. How do I get the PBEM helper to recognize them? How do I get it to automatically save PBEM files in the right folder for each opponent?

Thanks for your help, Viceroy

I use compuserve and have never been able to configure the PBEM helper to connect to compuserve. I don't understand where I suppose to find the address to type in. While I've read the Help file about this, I huess it just didn't get into my thick skull. Any help would be swell

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viceroy:

How do I get it to automatically save PBEM files in the right folder for each opponent?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is something that OneClick does (I believe). PBEM helper does not currently have support for sub-folders under CMBO\PBEM folder. You should save all files into CMBO\PBEM folder...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I use compuserve and have never been able to configure the PBEM helper to connect to compuserve.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PBEM helper has support for MAPI (Outlook Express, Outlook, Netscape, Eudora etc.) and SMTP. If Compuserve is a web-based e-mail system, then PBEM helper probably can't send e-mails thru it.

I downloaded this at WineCapes prodding and I'm glad I did. Once you get used to it, about 10 mins., it really makes keeping track of your games easier and transfering files FAST and easy, especially if both players are using it.

Another piece of advice (it's not *that* clear in the program's release notes):

PBEM Helper can handle 3 saving formats...

(a).pbm -- this is PBEM Helper's native saving format (if both opponents uses the program) and are to be opened, and not saved when you receive this game file format as an attachment in your E-mail program;

(B).txt -- best way to handle this file format when received via an attachment in your e-mail program is to go into PBEM Helper and set an "additional working directory" in the "OPTIONS" menu, which automatically creates the sudirectory PBEM\CMBO in your My Documents Folder. Save the .txt file here. PBEM Helper then moves the file automatically to the CMBO\PBEM directory (where CM is stored) when launched and updates the relevant game file status from "WAIT" to "PLAY";

©.zip -- ditto as (B), but obviously EXTRACT the .zip game file in My Documents\PBEM\CMBO instead of saving it there.

The last 2 file formats is mostly used when your oppenent insists on NOT using any pbem tool, but you want to still want get the benefit of PBEM Helper's easy file/pbem management capabilities.

I'm using Fuerte's PBEM helper for 8 PBEM's right now and its a godsend. May none of your children look like Mad Matt.

Winecape...the txt option is called "as is" and i've yet to use it. I use zip for all and have had no complaints at all. Many of my opponents use Macs and prefer to have the files zipped. I love that you can keep "taunt opponent" checked and it will allow you to type text in the email.

Because of the convenience of this application, I find myself challenging more and more people to PBEM's. Is that good or bad?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillies Phan:

I'm using Fuerte's PBEM helper for 8 PBEM's right now and its a godsend. May none of your children look like Mad Matt.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, this is not Peng thread, but thanks! ;)

Btw, there is again a new version available, 1.0.144.

Stalin,

Make sure, if you are using numbered game files - which PBEM Helper supports - that they must be in this format:

FILENAME###.TXT

where ### are 3 digits. All other files numbered, not adhereing to this naming convention, are treated as separate games (you have to set the password for every GAME FILE).

E.g. "WineCapeMarcus009.txt" is OK, "WineCapeMarcus09.txt" is a no-no.

I you are using only 2 digits at the end of the named file, PBEM will look at each file as a new game. Using 3 digits at the end will solve the problem with the password.

Hope your question answered, if not let me know.

Stalin,

Also make also sure you have the CM intro movie disabled (start CM while holding the left shift should disable it).

Also, it only supports certain resolutions -- Fuerte could clarify here -- so you might be using an unsupported resolution.

Regards,

Charl Theron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Thanks - yes I'm using 3-digit numbers, and I don't have the opening movie enabled - it starts up with "Battlefront presents"....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know where you got that "Battlefront presents", I don't have it. It should go directly to the Play Game / Create Scenario / Join Multiplayer / Exit main manu.

Thanks for the tips guys - that problem got solved...now the enxt one!! :D

Some of my opponents get 2 complete sets of e-mail messages (ie a duplicate message, complete with hte PBEM footer text & a 2nd attachment) ....it stopped for one, then started for another...I've no idea why - any thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Some of my opponents get 2 complete sets of e-mail messages (ie a duplicate message, complete with hte PBEM footer text & a 2nd attachment) ....it stopped for one, then started for another...I've no idea why - any thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opponent got that from me once as well. But he got it only once or twice. Are you using MAPI or SMTP?