Problem with riding on tanks

I could use a couple of tips for getting my troops to ride on tanks. I have read the manual and always check to see if the vehicle and troops are compatible, but some times my troops go inside a tank never to be seen again.

Some times I give a movement order to board a tank for e.g. 3 men. A mortar, spotter & HQ.

Two will ride on the back and one enters the inside never to be seen again. Once I exit the outside riders I can only select the tank, not the poor sole inside.

I then quit or reload and try to issue the order to one of them at a time. Two will mount and the other will just go to the road under the tank.

I must be doing something wrong but cannot work it out.

Cheers Mark

Ampliflying klapton's advice: You may find it useful to toggle off the vehicle display with Shift-V in order to select the passengers.

Don't forget to turn vehicle display back on afterwards, though. Being shot at by the enemy's invisible tanks is not fun.