Things we won't see in CM2

Just thought I'd get a jump on griping.

Since BTS will shamelessly ignore horses in the next game - something about equestrian morale being difficult to model. I suppose veterinary units will also be banished. (sigh). I really wanted veterinary units in my combat sim. smile.gif

With horses and veterinary units gone then I can only assume the next CM will continue to ignore the "HISTORICALLY ACCURATE" practice of driving sheep across a minefield to clear it (happened at least once). "You'll have to sign for your 300 sheep, sir." Because if they won't have horses they probably won't have sheep either.

Can bicycle troops be far behind on the chopping block?

------------------

Check out http://www.geocities.com/funfacts2001/ or

http://hyperion.spaceports.com/~funfacts/ for military documents written during WWII.

[This message has been edited by Jasper (edited 02-12-2001).]

Originally posted by Jasper:

Can bicycle troops be far behind on the chopping block?

Since when did "mounted" bicycle troops fire their weapons? As far as modeling them, I don't see why "Bicycle Squad" type be included, just as the motorized squad is now. What's the real difference anyway? Small arm load-out?

what no horses! no bicycles! my gosh! what next! no laundry unit!! or maintenance unit!!! dam! what about the payroll or graves registration unit!! come to think of it what about administration unit, nothing better than shooting up a bunch of office silly's...... slippery slope here....

Mock all you want ya vultures, you!

There's always hope for CMII ! Everyone knows about the Cold War battle where the Guagamalian cavalry attacked a collumn of Nigaraguian T-2000's! Sheesh, amateurs...

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Guest Michael emrys

What about pogo sticks and BB guns for the famed Mounted Nuisance Battalions? I suppose next you will be disputing that they were issued pea shooters as personal sidearms.

mad.gif

Michael

"PIGEONS"

As I was preparing to post more stuff I stumbled across a reference. Clearly written by someone with a clear point of view:

THE ARMY PIGEON

[From an article by Frank W. Lane in The Royal Air Force Quarterly December 1942]

"But in a war that bird may be carrying a message upon whose prompt delivery may hang the lived of thousands of men. Within recent years (written 1942) it has therefore become an aim of utmost importance among pigeoneers to develop a strain of night flyers - and they have succeeded!"

"Today Fort Monmouth claims to have a flock of nearly a hundred of the only two-way homing pigeons in the world - birds able to carry messages on round trips across battlefields.

Just how these bird were trained is a closely guarded military secret. Some indications of the methods, however, may be gained from some French experiments . . ."

"The military need for such a pigeon is obvious to anyone who has studied the tactics of blitzkrieg. . . . messages sent back by hard-pressed forward troops could never be entrusted to an army pigeon trained to World War I standards."

"And when, in one bird, can be combined night-flying, two-way messages, carrying to moveable bases, a weapon will have been forged which has been the dreams of army commanders since the dawn of organized warfare."

More important than my opinion of the effectiveness of the widespread use of carrier pigeons, if the enemy using them, then I want falcons trained to WWII standards to intercept them!

Guest Mikey D

Y'know, the army's classic 'tooth-to-tail' ratio was much more one-sided that CM usually models. I think whenever we model new scenarios we should all include at least a couple dozen trucks & jeeps to better represent the 'tail' portion of the beast.

Leaving them out would be like modelling the battle of Agincort without the English baggage train to attack, or doing a modern wargame with M1A2s but no fuel trucks!