Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

I'd like to see a "view lock" option

Oh god, not this topic again. Kinda reminds me of the "FOW map" threads from pre Gold Demo days where some people wanted the map to be dynamic and shrouded like in RTS games where objects, just as bridges, woods, etc would be placed on the field in ghostly positions and then revealed truthfully when the player advanced far enough.

But a view lock while creating scenarios? How in the hell would that work? I mean you've got your map overview screen when placing objects, etc. What would a locked view accomplish here?

I think Tiger means that there should be an option within the Editor so that the view can be locked for a scenario during it's creation, so that when the user plays the finished scenario, he (or she) is locked to level 1, or whatever view the designer set.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Tiger, find the like-minded people around here, and simply agree to it. Problem solved.. smile.gif

I love the concept of "ironman", and I have tried it before.

However, in practice it leaves you to make some huge mistakes that would not happen in real life, especially concerning scouts/ recon. If you were driving, say a WASP, White Scout vehicle, etc into the unknown, you would be reacting second-by-second to what you see. You could decide to turn left at a sudden fork in the road, decide to stop suddenly behind a slope, etc.

BUT, in ironman, your vehicles have the ability to move beyond your current visual range in under 60 seconds. This leaves you stutterstepping forward in the most retarded ways sometimes.

To compensate for this 60 second turn format, you almost have to look ahead on the map for him, and decide which path he will take when he arrives at that fork, on the :30 second mark....

Anyways, I still like to do i every once in a while. It makes for a very scary, exciting approach. In some ways, it is more true to life, in others it fails miserably...

Just my thoughts on the matter....

(P.S. Someone around here made a scenario specifically for ironman play, if you would like it, just email me, and I will send it to you.. ) smile.gif

Ah, correct me if I'm wrong but if a designer locks a scenario to lvl 1 I AM kinda forced to play it that way, aren't I?

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Hey Tiger, relax! smile.gif it was in no way my meaning to be negative. If I gave you that impression I'm sorry. What you say is right; no one is forcing me to play scenarios. It would however be a pity if scenarios cannot also be played in the standard way if one would want to.

I think it would maybe be better if this viewlock could be engaged at some later point, say at game start, along with the other options available (such as FOW and experience bonus). If you could make it so that one toggle of this function automatically toggles it for the other player it would also be safe from potential cheaters.

Regards,

Juju

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Oh god, not this topic again. Kinda reminds me of the "FOW map" threads from pre Gold Demo days where some people wanted the map to be dynamic and shrouded like in RTS games where objects, just as bridges, woods, etc would be placed on the field in ghostly positions and then revealed truthfully when the player advanced far enough.

But a view lock while creating scenarios? How in the hell would that work? I mean you've got your map overview screen when placing objects, etc. What would a locked view accomplish here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES!

And I was one of those that was suggesting the RTS Shroud of mist (like fog) for any part of the board that your units did not have LOS to. I still think that some FOG should be there.

Playing this game the way it is now, with Full FOW on at Night in Dense Fog is about the same as I think it should be ALL the time. When in View 8 you can still see ALL the map like it is a road map. But in my opinion as it is now you can roam around the map at view 2 or 3 or 4 and the fog lifts as to move around. I think that Foggy mist should only LIFT where your guys have LOS, and the LOS would be different lengths or distances depending on the weather and lighting conditions.

I would love to see this game with an option to lock to ONLY any friendly unit and only view 1 or view 2 AND have the SAME fog that is there now ALWAYS there for all places on the map your units don't have LOS to.

I have, in all reality, given up all hope that the game will ever be built or designed this way because as someone once posted some time ago in the first go around on the issue, "Its NOT Recon Mission, its Combat Mission" !!

Oh well, I would still like to see MORE fog of war, some form of Super FOW or Ultra FOW option.

Anyway, Steve and Charles have Made a GREAT game and it is approaching perfection in its TCP/IP v1.1 patch....

So just keep up the good work! smile.gif

-tom w