East Front

Just wondering if anyone has heard about whent the east front version would be ready?

Anyone heard anything about this new movie coming up on the sniper duel guys in Stalingrad? Hope it's historically accurate, but doubt it.

TOWEL.JPG

------------------

WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY HILLTOPPERS - 2000-01 SUN BELT
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS!!!

There's even a love interest involved in the killing grounds of Stalingrad in this movie. I don't know how historically correct that'll be.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Guest Space Thing

Why do we call it the East Front? Wasn't it the front towards the west for the Russians/Soviets? BTW, what did they call it?

And for the UK, Canadian, US, etc... troops the front was towards the east (excepting the mediterranian, Africa, and Italy of course).

Why is the loser's perspective used so predominantly? Just curious, thats all.

Originally posted by Space Thing:

Why do we call it the East Front? Wasn't it the front towards the west for the Russians/Soviets? BTW, what did they call it?

And for the UK, Canadian, US, etc... troops the front was towards the east (excepting the mediterranian, Africa, and Italy of course).

Why is the loser's perspective used so predominantly? Just curious, thats all.

Oh man, there was SO a thread on this a little while ago. It got weird. I hope it doesn't get like that now. And I won't tell you to search for it, because I don't personally believe in it myself. Never have, never will search.

Thanks,

Jim

The movie is based on the book of the same title "Enemy at the Gates". Great book, run don't walk to get it. ISBN 345-23875-3-195

The love interest is real. The Russian sniper, Vassili Zaitsev credited with 242 German kills, had a female sniper that he was heavily involved with. Saddly they were separated in the war. He was wounded by a land mine explosion, temporarily blinded. He married a different women after the war and settled in Kiev as the director of an engineering school.

The woman was Sgt. Tania Chernova. She refers to the Germans she killed as sticks she broke. She was wounded at Stalingrad when another female sniper (called "the cow") walking in front of her stepped on a mine. She had served for 3 months and due to her injuries her war was over. She learned about Zaitsev marrying someone else in 1969.

MikeT

The Soviets called the "east Front" the "great patriotic war" As for the movie I bet it will be a good drama but I would not be looking for extreme historical accuracy and the post above is correct on the sniper love interest, the Craig book details this well I think... suppose I will have to get the old hardcopy out and read it again