Vickers... What's the point?

I like playing with the British troops (and the associated "hangers-on" countries), but I am always disappointed with the performance of the Vickers MG. It just doesn't seem to provide the level of suppression (and death and carnage) I look for in a main infantry support MG.

I imagine it is because I have been spoiled by the US/Boche HMGs?

You're not alone. The primary value of the Vickers, as well as any water-cooled gun, was the sustained fire they could put out. However, in CM, they appear to be restricted to the same short bursts as all the other guns. The only advantage with them seems to be the greater number of rounds. But this hardly makes up for the lack of greater number of rounds per turn these guns should be able to put out. When you factor in their immense weight, resulting in very poor mobility, they really do seem to suffer in comparison to the other MGs.

Yep the key descriptive word for the Vickers is "slow", slow in moving, slow in firing and slow in changing targets. Oh I almost forgot, another characteristic is "dies a lot", but that could be a result of its other traits, not really sure yet. Avoid it...

Ron

Well that's kind of funny, I had great success with a pair of Vickers in the scenario "Dorset Wood in the Rain" where I mauled a bunch of Germans trying to cross an open wheat field. I did have a few Rifle Squads as back up though.

Luckily the low firepower of Vickers in CM is reflected in the

low price of Vickers in CM. smile.gif

Toss it somewhere, and it just keeps on firing.

Long after everything else is out of ammo.

I like it and the 1917.

Is it just Marximus and me who have noticed that all HMG units are very effective if you team them up with an ordinary Rifle squad?

It seems like you get a small combined arms bonus when a rifle and a MG unit "gang up" on a single enemy.

I agree too... but, I'm dissappointed in general about how MGs are handled in CM to begin with.

MGs can supress an area, lets say a platoon spread out advancing over an open plain. Curently, the MGs basically targets one squad, and the other 2 move forward without being supressed.

:(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

Is it just Marximus and me who have noticed that all HMG units are very effective if you team them up with an ordinary Rifle squad?

It seems like you get a small combined arms bonus when a rifle and a MG unit "gang up" on a single enemy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey, is it just me or did you ever notice how a water cooled belt fed is augmented by a B52?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

hey, is it just me or did you ever notice how a water cooled belt fed is augmented by a B52?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I always get a couple every time I do a QB. I put one on each end of my line to protect my flanks. I've never been beat yet.

;)

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Yeah, I always get a couple every time I do a QB. I put one on each end of my line to protect my flanks. I've never been beat yet.

;)

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You buy the optional thermonuclear warheads? Its gamey but cool.

To all you "augmenters" with your MGs esconced away supercharging your infantry:

1. See who does the killing.

2. See how far they have to be from the real fight.