Chain Saws and German Pioneers

Interesting... I have the Handbook on German Forces and it has on page 514 an electric chain-saw. I wouldn't consider these very portable, though: I reproduce their stats:

Light power saw:

Weight : 111lbs including fuel

Blade Length: 3ft3in

RPM : 2600

Chain Speed : 21 feet per second

Heavy power saw:

Weight : 172lbs including fuel

Blade Length: 3ft3in

RPM : 2300

Chain Speed : 23 feet per second

The photo makes it quite evident that it's a two man piece of kit.

It was a Canadian nature show. Possible they were not used in Canada until the 50s, or else they were referring to Canadian-manufactured chain saws, or else man-portable - - or else they were just plain old wrong.

Thanks for the data; quite interesting.

Good grief - 100+ pounds?

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I recently came across a pict of an M3A1 scout car with all of its stowage laid-out for inspection in front of the vehicle. At the top of the pile was this giant mother of a handsaw, looked like it had to be 5 feet long! Stored against the far rear wall I suppose.

And prominent stowage on the side of T34-85s and JS-2s was a stout push-pull type handsaw.

Forget about Jeeps winning the war, handsaws won the war!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeyD:

I recently came across a pict of an M3A1 scout car with all of its stowage laid-out for inspection in front of the vehicle. At the top of the pile was this giant mother of a handsaw, looked like it had to be 5 feet long! Stored against the far rear wall I suppose.

And prominent stowage on the side of T34-85s and JS-2s was a stout push-pull type handsaw.

Forget about Jeeps winning the war, handsaws won the war!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those old 2 man crosscut saws are actually really good. It wouldn't take too long to clear out any blown tree roadbloacks with them. I've cut a 22 inch log with one in around 2 minutes with them. You don't get very tired out with them either, the weight of the saw does all of the cutting. All you do is just pull it back, then let the other guy pull it back.

Thanks guys, My last thread turned into a running joke. But its a very interesting topic. There seems to be some dispute about when they showed up, and how unwieldly they were, and how much they would improve the speed at which a Pioneer company could cut a bunch of trees. I'd hate to make one of those corduroy roads with only a hand axe and a hand saw.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take?

I ask because it took us between 4~8 hours to build a two-man firetrench with overhead shelter (the discrepancy is because we were given all night and it was the first (and last! yay!) time we had to build a firetrench. Some worked harder than others, but we were all entrenched by morning.)

I'm wondering if a bunker takes less time to build and houses more people (but probably is less protective) than a firetrench. (By which I mean something about 160cm deep, with enough room for two people plus an overhead shelter.)

As to the prospect of building corduroy roads by hand, one should never underestimate the willingness of a military institution to overtax its manpower on such projects. The Russians had their Asian conscript labor regiments, the Germans had their forced (slave) workers from conquered countries. It wasn't until Desert storm that G.I. finally came up with the labor-saving idea of using funnels (overturned roadway cones) to help fill sandbags! ;)