Splitting squads?

When and under what conditions is it a good idea to split squads. I've done it a few times with mixed results.

Obviously with split squads you have more eyes placed in various locations for spotting. Also, split squads can ambush from several angels. But, you reduce the firepower by splitting up squads.

Just curious as to when people thin it is a good idea and when it is not.

thanks

I split them before I rush a gun. They have less power, but there are more targets to shoot at, so the gun may get confused and get over run. I only do that if I am close, say under a 100 meters. I also use them to show a lot of units to the person I am playing when I am trying to make a false flanking move. Just a few suggestions, things I have had good luck at using split squads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

I like to have a platoon 0of split squads in front of major advances for recon and to give the enemy more targets (and the impression the attack is heavier than it actually is).

MrSpkr<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for sharing! I will remember this.

Speedbump

I did do a search (took a while) and found in an OLD thread where BTS said that split squads are less likely to press on an attack and more likely to rout. I'd post the link to the thread but that would take about 15-20 mintues to find it again.

I sometimes split squads to make it seem like I have more men from a distance. This becomes less effective against veteran+ experienced troops.

Another use is to set ambushes for the enemy and retreating before they bring significant forces to bear on you.

Also, on the defense, splitting squads up can give you more foxholes. You can set some squads way back to have foxholes prepared when you fall back to another line of resistance.

I have had great success splitting a squad to rush a gun. I let the other two squads lay a cover fire and then the two teams rush the gun from two different directions. a little trick I learned is make the final waypoint of both the teams close to each other. Basically, once they reach the waypoint, the very next turn they reunite and become a regular squad (minus any casualties), increasing there fire power and coheisiveness (sp?). Anywho, I've had great success taking out MG's, AT/INF guns, even one or two immobile tanks (those are a little more tricky).

The only other time I split a squad is for purposes of recon.