Inability of AI to pick target BUG

I know I've read about this same problem previously, however I haven't experienced it until downloading v. 1.12. I've had vehicles overcome by the inability to choose between different targets. They will just sit there wildly fluctuating between several targets. I have autosave files that show this. I'm not sure how to post them so I will send them in a separate e-mail. This seems to be an honest to goodness BUG as opposed to unit changes/features that some people disagree with.

Another thing I've seen (but have no files on) is a vehicle without orders just charge forward into the enemy lines to certain death for no apparent reason. It has only happened to me twice, both after the v 1.12 upgrade (I jumped from v 1.05 to v 1.12). Neither time were my vehicles under fire, in fact they were hiding and I had given them no command for the turn in which they took off. I don't consider this to be a crippling flaw or bug - I just filed it under crap happens. But I would be interested in finding out why this happens occasionally.

I also had a Stug III switch back and forth with a red target line between two Shermans in a QB last week, without firing at either for one round. The next round I had to manually target one of the Allied vehicles to deliver fire.

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 03-17-2001).]

I've seen this bug, but it has been rare for me [knock on wood]. I don't know of anything you can do to prevent it from happening. Hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

------------------

Craiger

All your victory flag are belong to me

This problem is occuring when several targets of same priority, distance and cover present themselves at the same time.

Suppose about one company of infantry presents itself to your forces. Then there are several potential targets.

Now your gun picks a suitable unit to aim at, but before it gets a shot off that unit has hit the dirt because it was fired at by one of your MGs.

This makes that unit a lower priority target, and your gun starts aiming at another one, which is also quickly suppressed by your infantry, and so on...

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by DevilDog:

Another thing I've seen (but have no files on) is a vehicle without orders just charge forward into the enemy lines to certain death for no apparent reason. It has only happened to me twice, both after the v 1.12 upgrade (I jumped from v 1.05 to v 1.12). Neither time were my vehicles under fire, in fact they were hiding and I had given them no command for the turn in which they took off. I don't consider this to be a crippling flaw or bug - I just filed it under crap happens. But I would be interested in finding out why this happens occasionally.

Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seen this with ver. 1.12. It's happenned to me twice in the one game where one Armoured Car charged forward to a point roughly 20 metres away from the enemy squad it was firing at across the path of a known AT gun less than 60 metres away. It died! No orders to move or do anything other than fire at the enemy squad in the foxhole were given and it wasn't under fire from arty.

The 2nd Armoured Car had a specific order to reverse AWAY from the general area of known enemy squads (too close) to a hull down position some 30 metres away. It carried out this order initially then immediately decided to charge right back to where it had been and promptly got shot up by a hiding 50 cal MG. Admittedly there was arty falling down in the general area but to charge right back TOWARDS the enemy when under artillery fire makes absolutely no sense to me. If anything it should move further away from known enemy positions rather than towards them thereby subjecting it to even more likelihood of being destroyed.

Anybody else seen this problem desribed by Devil Dog and myself under ver. 1.12?

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Anybody else seen this problem desribed by Devil Dog and myself under ver. 1.12?

Regards

Jim R.

Yes, posted about it in another thread. Playing a PBEM game and had two Shermans commit suicide against a Panther. My thoughts on this, for what it's worth, is tied to the "fanaticism" of the unit. If the fanaticism is triggered, and they have no LOS to shoot at something, they just have to go shoot something that turn. Since you cannot tell which if any units have had theor fanatic status triggered it's a real problem. 'Course I could be wrong on what the cuase of the AI behavior is. Would be nice to hear from BTS on it.

Maddmatt sent me an e-mail acknowledging the files I sent him and said they were able to replicate the bug with my autosave files. Although it is a bug it is rare, and he said they would be unable to patch it as all their time is being spent on CM2. At least they see there's a problem and maybe they can circumvent it for CM2.