Possible help for Steve on Hungarian military

Steve,

Your comment about your research woes, which appeared in the notorious "Allied Schutzenplatte" thread, triggered a synapse. I have some issues of the now defunct AFV-G2 armor magazine. One of them (AFV G-2, Vol. 6, No. 7) has a response to an earlier article called "Hungarian WWII Armor" (AFV-G2, Vol. 6, No.4). The 1979 letter itself is from Ing. (Engineer) Ivan Batjos of Kosice, Czechoslovakia and evidences deep study of his subject and great mastery of same.

Example:

"The "Csabas" pictured were not seen during the 1941 "Barbarossa" campaign but were in the area of Bacska (left out diacritical over "a"; JK) in Yugoslavia, in April of 1941."

He goes on to give the exact date and Yugoslavian magazine in which the picture referred to first appeared.

He corrects the use of (diacriticals omitted, JK) Honved, the term for a member of the Hungarian Army, where Honvedseg, the Hungarian Army, should've been used. These are but two of twelve extremely detailed comments he makes.

If I were you, I'd try to get my hands on the original article from AFV-G2, first pinging the treadheads here for help, then posting your request at the AFV News discussion group board (www.activevr.com/afv) to hugely broaden your search base. If the troops can't, I'm sure George Bradford can. I'll happily supply the text of the letter once you have the original article in hand.

The next thing I'd suggest is that you get our European brethren to work to locate Ing. Ivan Batjos, starting with an Internet search and going from there. Chances are, he's still alive and active in some treadhead or military modeling group.

Have you been in touch with Steve Zaloga? Have you read the book he and James Grandsen coauthored called THE EASTERN FRONT: Armour Camouflage and Markings 1941 to 1945? It has an entire section

devoted to Hungarian armor. Missing Lynx (www.missing-lynx.com) has an area devoted to Steve Zaloga's beautifully built and painted Hungarian armor. You might also wish to see whether Osprey ever got around to publishing a Men at Arms book on the Hungarian Army in World War II.

I hope these ideas are helpful.

Sincerely,

John Kettler