Ambush areas

I did a search on this and did not see any refence for what I am about to ask. It it has been discussed before, I apologize for the repost

anyways...

when it comes to ambush markers,

has it been considered to also have ambush "areas" placed instead of a small round marker?

My question comes as I saw an allied tank move just past an ambush marker from a 75mm gun. the gun never fired, just stayed hidden when the target was in sight and good range.

No it did not enter the ambush marker but since I could only choose one small spot, i could not cover the entire area that I wanted to really set up an ambush.

How come you can't select multiple ambush spots for a unit - say for a gun to cover anything in front of it in a 45 degree angle up to 150m out?

Or have a gun in between 2 houses that covers anything that passes in front of it for 500m?

In other words, setting up and ambush "lane" or "area" instead of just one spot. Of, course, the area or lane would have to be within reason...

Just a thought.

First off, how far away from the marker was the tank? The tendency to break an ambush order to fire on a nearby target probably varies with experience.

Secondly, giving the gun a rotate order will give best spotting in the direction it's looking.

As for "ambush zones" I think that would be tough to code, because how big should the zone be? Players would then want variable zone radii, and then they'd want the ability to change the zone's shape.

DjB

IIRC, the "area" of the current ambush markers is about 20-30m. Maybe CM2 could make this value variable?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JediJobu:

Or have a gun in between 2 houses that covers anything that passes in front of it for 500m?

In other words, setting up and ambush "lane" or "area" instead of just one spot. Of, course, the area or lane would have to be within reason...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it has a narrow enough LOS, you normally won't need to set an ambush marker in this kind of situation. Just place it deep between the buildings and it will engage anything in it's LOS "lane". Don't forget ambush markers are currently limited to 300m, too.

------------------

"It's a boy!" - My wife's OB/GYN

Nov. 8th, 4:45am

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

If it has a narrow enough LOS, you normally won't need to set an ambush marker in this kind of situation. Just place it deep between the buildings and it will engage anything in it's LOS "lane".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what I try to do. The problem occurs when LOS stretches out far beyond the range I want to use.

My solution has been to simply keep the gun hidden until theres an enemy in an appropriate kill zone.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Srategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

I think the ambush markers aren't exactly the greatest thing either. But I did manage to set up a fantastic weiner roast with a flamethrower.

I think perhaps there should be a "cone" or something similar that tells a unit to only fire in that direction and not to do otherwise. Of course, greenies may decide otherwise.

A good example of this function is in Jagged Alliance 2. In that game, you could burst and area by drawing a box with the mouse. So I think strongly that the mouse can be used to set up "fields of fire" to draw them.

There. How does that sound?