Could the Germans have forced another Dunkirk?

There has been a lot of discussion about wether the Germans could have forced the British to evacuate again if the Ardennes Offensive would have prevailed. The plan was to drive onto Antwerp and cut the link between The U.S. and the British forces.

Considering the resources available to the Germans at the time I don't think they could have forced the Allies to evacuate. Most of France had been liberated so the Americans had plenty places to fall back to. I don't think Monty would have let himself into the same situation his predecessor did in 1940. And Ike would have come to the Brits aid toot sweet if they did get encircled. Patton did after all break off from a offensive fight, turn 90 degrees north, and force march 100 miles and engage a enemy again in a new spot in three days. We had control of the air at the end of 1944 so resupply was possible from the air too.

No, even if the Germans did manage to cut off the two Allied forces I don't think it would have forced the British to evacuate. The Germans just lacked the resources to follow up once they did manage to cut off the Allies.

Some reports say the Hitler was just hoping to prolong the the war in the west by 6 months or so by forcing the Allies back. I think that was the best they could hope for under the situation. Buy some time. But in doing so he stripped what armor he needed to fight off the Russians for 1945.

I know I'm arm chair Marshaling here since I wasn't there nor a military strategist but I just don't believe the Germans could have pulled it off (The evac part) given the situation. Even the German Staff knew by December 1945 the war was lost. It was just a matter of how long it would take to finish them.

I will say one thing for the Germans they certainly proved many times the impossible was possible throughout the entire 1939-1945 war.

~Skott Karlsson~

There was only 1 person on all sides who thought that the Germans could reach Antwerp. Unfortunately that person was Hitler. Just reaching the Meuse would have been a Herculean feat. But even if they did it would have had no effect, the British had more than enough forces available to them stop the Germans from ever crossing the Meuse.

The Ardennes battle was the biggest of it's kind on the western front. And that is why you see so many books and discussions about it, but there isnt a single historian out there who gave it any chance of success. Even if the Americans failed completely, the British would have still had enough time to reposition their forces defensively against the Meuse, all they would have had to do is hold on until clear weather.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

I remember reading somewhere that if the Ardennes Offensive was successful Hitler wanted to have a seperate peace with the Western Allies to refocus German efforts to stop the Red Army. But the Allies had an agreement that there would be no seperate peace agreement with Germany. Of course, nobody was able to see into the future i.e. Iron Curtain, Berlin Wall, Cold War. It just bothers me that yes, Hitler was responsible for many horrible atrocities, but Josef Stalin was just as bad (you don't even need to count how many RUSSIANS died when he assumed power and BEFORE WWII). The big difference between them was that Stalin was on OUR side.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima