definition of gun/howitzer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the Facts...

From the book "Standard Guide to U.S. World War II Tanks & Artillery", Konrad Schreier

U.S Army field artillery definitions:

GUN: A long barrel cannon which normally fires with a flat trajectory, can fire with a high trajectory, and has a longer range than either a howitzer or mortar of the same caliber.

HOWITZER: A cannon with a medium-length barrel which normally fires with a high trajectory, can fire with a flat trajectory, and has a shorter range than a gun and longer range than a mortar of the same caliber.

MORTAR: A cannon with a short barrel which can only fire with a high trajectory and has a shorter range than either a gun or a howitzer of the same caliber.

Over and Out!

Gun:

1. A cannon with relatively long barrel, operating with relatively low angle of fire, and having a high muzzle velocity.

2. A cannon with tube length 30 calibers or more.

Mortar:

1. A muzzle-loading, indirect fire weapon with either a rifled or smooth bore. It usually has a shorter range than a howitzer, employs a higher angle of fire, and has a tube, length of 10 to 20 calibers.

Howitzer:

1. A cannon that combines certain characteristics of guns and mortars. The howitzer delivers projectiles with medium velocities, either by low or high trajectories.

2. Normally a cannon with a tube length of 20 to 30 calibers; however, the tube length can exceed 30 calibers and still be considered a howitzer when the high angle fire zoning solution permits range overlap between charges.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shootdodge:

how does bagged and fixed ammunotion factor in then and if ure not an authority on it then why the **** post it I SAID NO MESSIN ABOUT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Interesting approach shootdodge.

I've spent about ten years working with artillery, and was going to answer your question. However, having so readily flicked off Jeff's (correct) post, go find it yourself.

Frankly, I think its a shame anyone else bothered answering you either.

Regard-less

JonS

how does bagged and fixed ammunotion factor in then and if ure not an authority on it then why the **** post it I SAID NO MESSIN ABOUT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well.. nice too meet you too. So nice to see another mature user enter the board. Oh, and I see he has already used the F word towards another user in what? Humm, his second post. Towards a user,I might add, that was polite and answered his question correctly too.

Why do I get the feeling we can only expect great things from you in the future.

Oh, and Idiot. I mean Shoutdodge. That language is pretty much frowned upon around here. I'd hate to see you banned after 2 post.

Lorak the loathed

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> shootdodge said: how does bagged and fixed ammunotion factor in then and if ure not an authority on it then why the **** post it I SAID NO MESSIN ABOUT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to see if I could deliberately piss you off…why else? Whatever.

Try the following web site:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/bullets2.htm

sorry but i've spent some 3 months on various sources trying to find out this and seeing as i have NEVER got a straight answer or for that matter a similar one to any of the others i'm a little peeved and anyway where did all the good people go its only a board and u need'nt talk to me like a child i bet u think ure so mature are u lot 20-25 thats how old my brother is and training to be a lawyer ure just a bunch of loud mouths who think they know everything and must win every argument if i provoked u u would react just the same as me.

and its shootdodge

sorry but i've spent some 3 months on various sources trying to find out this and seeing as i have NEVER got a straight answer or for that matter a similar one to any of the others i'm a little peeved and blah b-blah blah blah. Basically I'm a troll, so please feed my ego...and its shootdodge<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, do you think there may be a reason why all your sauces are contradictory? Go on, you're a bright wee toddler. You figah it oot.

Didn't someone once write that you can catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar?

We can sling BS with the best on this board but you'll seldom be applauded for doing so.

Hope you get your questions answered but your attitude is sorta sucky so you get what you ask for...

ta mate sorry bout getting bit annoyed i hope it helps wiv me now three month old problem and jonS i think u ought to be quiet now before i get my rabbit to rape ure punk ass or short of that get mt sixteen year old brother (who spends 9 hours a day on his laptop) to send ure computer something nasty not that ure 2 killer-bite piece of ****e amiga is worth decimating tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Well that's original - a rabbit that's trained to...um...do things to posteriors on command!

how do you think he trained it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... don't rabbits like carrots? wouldn't a carrot fit...?

Maybe that explains his speach impediment, and that funny, rolling gait.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

Well that's original - a rabbit that's trained to...um...do things to posteriors on command!

how do you think he trained it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good question Stalin...

Maybe he walks around with his pockets filled with ceeder shavings and a water bottle stuffed in his bum.

I'm gussing that buggering rabbits is an english thing. At least it would explain price charles's big ears...

actually FRIEND im only flaming the people who flame me so thats why jons getting it and jeff aint are u a bit...slow mate<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's time to put your brother's computer away for the night and go to bed, little boy, before he finds out you've been playing with it.