60mm's not targeting TRP

Ok here's the situation.

I am playing an operation. I have 9 60mm mortors all parked well away from the front lines(prolly 1000 meters or more). In the previose battle I had them split into 2 parks of 3 mortors each. During the battle one park would target the TRP with no problem, but the other park would not target the TRP for the entire battle.

Hmmm...I thought maybe there is "something" concerning there location or their HQ that is preventing them from fireing.

So during setup for the next battle I moved the mortors in question to the same location as the others who were having no trouble firing. I also recieved 3 more as reinforcments to bring the total of 9 and placed them in the same location. all 9 are in the same place under command of the same HQ.

Guess what. The 3 mortors that were in this location to begin with can still fire. The 3 new mortors I just received are firing. But the 3 mortors that could not fire last battle still wont target the TRP.

What gives?

The only difference I can see is that these mortors are of HIGHER quality then the others and they were moved during setup (not during the actual battle.) That is to say they had been moved prier to the previous battle and prior to the current battle but only during setup. From what I think I know, only moving during the actuall battle would stop them from targeting TRP's.

in summation...

they are in the same location as the others.

Under command of same HQ.

Of high quality(2 Vets and 1 Crack).

Have only been moved during setup.

Yet they wont target the TRP.

I just dont get it.

Any thoughts?

Funnel

I thought of that excepts that three of the mortors are behind the ones that arent fireing so the range is even further for them but only by about 10 meters. the're all very closely packed so i would think if some would be out of range then they all would be.

Don't know about operations, but I had a 81mm mortar team that I parked between some buildings during the setup. I did not issue it movement orders. A few turns later I tried to area target a trp. It did not work. WTF? I asked myself. So I went back and watched the movies. It turns out that my mortar team was setup too close to a building so, on its own accord, it moved ever so slightly. That was all it took to wipe out my trp area fire. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. Moral of the story is be careful where you initially place your mortars if you want to area target a trp in the future.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Isn't it true that an on-board mortar needs a direct LOS to fire?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's not under command thats true. If it's under control of an HQ, the mortar can fire anywhere the HQ can see. That way you can stick a leader on top of a ridge while keeping your mortars below the crest and put fire on the advancing troops without exposure.

Nope. You dont need LOS to target a TRP.

I know this because the mortors that wont fire are litterally surrounded by mortors that are fireing with no problem at all.

The reason I chose to move these mortors so far back is because the terrain is so heavilly wooded and the weather so bad that they couldnt get LOS on any targets outside minimum range. So I figured that the only use I was gonna get out of them anyway was to target the TRP without LOS. Its working just fine except for those 3 units that just wont.