CM 2 - OP Tanks

I'm not entirely certain I've heard of dedicated Russian OP tanks (without the gun). There were the Germnan OP tanks on chassis all the way up to the Panther. I recall one Elephant TD unit used an OP Panther chassis with a MkIV turret (WITH gun) rigidly mounted to the hull! It seems the drive got pretty good at 'aiming' the gun in combat! What's the chance THAT will be modelled in CMBB?

I have brought up the subject of FO\FOO tanks on a couple occasions. Quite a common practice amongst Anglo-American as well as German Armies. I don't recall that a satisfactory answer was ever put forth as to their absence from CMBO. The usual …it was somehow unrealistic or some such thing. I can only assume that it's actually more a programming issue than any sort of historically based reason for their non-inclusion. CMBO does do a better job with indirect artillery than many tactical level games. But there is always room for improvement.

Regarding Soviet FO tanks, I don't know for a fact that the Red Army did or did not employ dedicated FO Tanks. I have certainly never read anything to support that the Red Army did employ FO tanks during the war (I would be interested if someone can produce a reference indicating the Soviets employed such a thing). The Red Army's FO\FDC interaction was certainly more primitive relative to Anglo-American and German systems. Somewhat limited capabilities in dealing with surprise targets. Red Army Artillery practices are more akin to a very sophisticated circa WWI army, than that of WWII. Much of this is apparently attributable to lack of trained FO\FDC's, and low ratios of radio equipment available to the Red Army during much of the war (say pre-1944'ish).

i agree with the above. if we are going to see CM2 bring into play tank radio/absense of radios, then why not have a OP tank? that would be nice to have something to call down artillery with besides a two man team that acts as a magnet to bullets! that would also keep people from blasting away a patch of woods becuase they think the FO is there. the OP tanks were a lot more common for the germans than the russians wernt they? i dont remember hearing that the russians ever had them (we all know about the russian artillery!)

heres my vote for OP tanks!

FYI, in 1943 or even 42, I don't remember, artillery department of Soviet general staff issued an official combat instruction on how should a forward artillery observers work from within a tank. Whicxh means that by the time this tactic was widely employed in reallife .

I just dont think that there were special tanks for forward observers.