Me = Newbie

I've ordered the game (5 days to go!) and I was just wondering what I should do to prepare for the big day. I've gone over to http://combathq.thegamers.net/ and gotten the 2 graphics updates and the sound update, as well as reading through the articles. I've also got myself a unit database, the patches (official and beta) and I've even started a list of acronyms so I don't get too confused (BTW what do AFV, FFE and FO stand for?).

Is there anything else that I should do, like are there any really bad bmp's that aren't replaced by the files I got, or do I need to register for anything, or something like that?

Thanks for your time.

Move the toilet and the refrigerator closer to the computer. Cancel your newspaper and tell work that you are going on an extended medical leave. Turn off the phone, unless the line is used for TCP/IP and get a divorce, in which you leave the kids to your wife. That about covers it. However, I am sure others will add words of wisdom!

Happy hunting!

Welcome aboard, you will need the 1.05 patch then the 1.1b24 patch for TCP/IP play. I believe those two patches contain the necessary .bmps and .wav files so any other download is simply your preference.

Kump's Outpost compares some of the different mods available.

AFV = armoured fighting vehicle

FFE = fire for effect

FO = forward observer(artillery)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Szyslak:

I've ordered the game (5 days to go!) and I was just wondering what I should do to prepare for the big day. I've gone over to http://combathq.thegamers.net/ and gotten the 2 graphics updates and the sound update, as well as reading through the articles. I've also got myself a unit database, the patches (official and beta) and I've even started a list of acronyms so I don't get too confused (BTW what do AFV, FFE and FO stand for?).

Is there anything else that I should do, like are there any really bad bmp's that aren't replaced by the files I got, or do I need to register for anything, or something like that?

Thanks for your time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome aboard. In some ways I hope you don't go through the agony I did. I began getting NO sleep, wasn't eating, getting slack at work. Even when my friends dropped by with BEER I said no just to play.

Because of all the agony I think we should start a 12 step program and ban the sale of the game. It is more addictive than crack.

P.S Its just a joke,crack is more addictive. Got that Benny... ooppssss I mean kids. eek.gif

Other acronyms-

FOW-fog of war

KO, KO'd- knocked out

zooks, shrecks, fausts- bazookas, panzershrecks, panzerfausts

KT-king tiger

HT-halftrack

LOS-line of sight

IMHO, IMO-in my (humble) opinion

BTW-by the way

AFAIK- as far as I know

CM- only the best game ever made

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

At least we could understand it!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um what is there not to understand Phoenix..hay now I can bug you and not Maximus...hehe no I want.

Eventually you may want to change the interface. This is maybe after you've had the game a bit, and feel like a change of pace. Anyway, I invite you to swing on by my website and check out my custom CM interfaces. There is some other content as well you may find useful. The link is under my name. Welcome aboard.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

Talking about those acronyms, one of the most important ones is - PBEM - Play By E-Mail!

I can offer you a challenge to play some with me (don't be scared, i'm not a veteran either smile.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob/1:

Welcome. Hay groundpounder don't have anything nice to say? I sow you said nuthing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob/1,

I had a half page welcome typed in and hit submit with the wrong password. It wiped the whole thing out! Oh and BTW here is a nice acronym for you Rob, BOHICA!

Welcome to the fun Szyslak!

gp

[This message has been edited by groundpounder (edited 01-09-2001).]