Shooting does not affect sound spotting?

That method would probably work (IRL) for a major, continuing, front-wide bombardment, but most of the artillery in CM seems to be more targetted and less constant. Perhaps the troops under fire can still hear the approaching tanks in the short lull between shells?

Martyr

Shooting does affect spotting in that the unit doing the shooting will appear as a sound contact to the enemy if the shooting unit is not in LOS. It may not be precise, but you'll at least know the neighborhood the firing unit is in. So I would guess that an arty barrage would mask sound contacts, but I can't speak with authority on the subject.

In a custom QB I'm in, an enemy mortar team was firing at my SPA from 2500m away. It was the first turn and the infantry? unit showed up as a sound contact only after the rounds started falling. So apparently, I could hear the mortar firing from 2500m away.

Riding inside a closed, tracked, AFV doesn't prevent you from hearing an infantry squad moving on the other side of a woods 300m off either, at least not in CM...

Just my observation.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Webmaster of Combat Mission för svensktalande, a CM site in Swedish. Norwegians, Finns, Danes and Icelanders are also welcome as members, others can still enjoy pictures and downloads.

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.

CM doesn't prevent my troops from spotting an AP mine field in scattered trees 700m away either. I guess this is a one in a million chance.

Back to the topic. A game just can't factor in every single sound source to determine what can be heard and what can't. Doing so would mean calculating for every unit the volume of every single incoming sound (including sounds from friendly units and the unit itself) and do something similar to a mp3 encoding thus dropping all the sounds that can't be heard because they are masked by other, louder sounds. I can already feel my CPU glow if I think about implementing that.

Dschugaschwili

[This message has been edited by Dschugaschwili (edited 02-08-2001).]