Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Where there any full woman russian units?

Where there any full russian women units that saw combat?

I know russian woman served in some cases

next to their husbands and heard of the famous russian women maning the aa guns at moscow.

But where there few units that saw combat?

If so will they be in CM2?

Guest Michael emrys

There were some all-female tank crews, but whether they were integrated into bi-gender units I can't say.

Why aren't the ladies on this board speaking up on this subject? Show your feminist credentials!

Michael

All russian women are full, a handful, at least smile.gif

But, I do know that in some of the heavy defensive fighting there wer many women who took up arms alongside the men. THere is a stirring account of a battery of Flak cannons run by women (all women) which was being overrun by the 6th Army as they stormed across the Don towards Stalingrad.

A Russian officer gives an account of the battle. The women were on a ridge and the fought ferociously to the last (wo)man as the germans advanced. The russians were retreating behind the ridge towards the city and every time the Flak guns fell silent, the officer would fail a pain of sadness. But then the guns would start up again and the soldiers would cheer as the women fought on.

Eventually the battery was taken after it had run out of ammo. The Germans, when they found the women, were shaken that they lost over 30 destroyed tanks to these russian women.

It was their first taste of the fierce defense that the Russians would put up, and they came to respect, fear and loathe Russian women for their ferocity.

I read an account that a line order was issued to the german soldiers to treat these women soldiers no better than dogs, for they were tricky and dangerous.

[This message has been edited by Panzer Leader (edited 04-05-2001).]

Here I go again with my "Stalingrad" book. It just turns up all sorts of relevant nuggets. Heh.

Anyway, lots of defensive stuff was, uh, "manned" by all-woman units. Early in the battle of Stalingrad (I think it was actually the first big land attack, after all the softening-up bombing) they stuck a bunch of women out there with nothing but AA guns -- and since they had no training, they tried using them to shoot tanks, and were generally annihilated.

Lovely bunch of people.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Why aren't the ladies on this board speaking up on this subject? Show your feminist credentials!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One, because the one I was going to mention, "The Night Witches, was already listed and two, I don't want to be thought of as a feminist. =P

Kitty