Arnhem

Today is the 57th anniversary of the Arnhem drops (hey, I'm an Aussie, so we're already well into the 17th!).

I just got CM a couple of weeks ago, and as a keen student of British 1st Airborne, I'm looking forward to playing the Arnhem battles and operations. At the moment I'm just playing smaller stuff till I learn the ropes, but I was wondering:

Does anybody have any opinions / tips on how the historical airborne battles are handled within the game, or about the implemnation of airborne troops in CM in general?

I'd encourage you to play the scenario "Red Devils" that comes with the CD. It's quite an interesting one, with some "drop in" guests. ;)

As you can tell by my user name, I am very interested in 1st Ind. Pol. Para. Bde. You'll find the game a lot of fun, trust me! Just use the Airborne troops in close range fights a lot, that's what I do, and usually end up winning.

Have fun! Good to see someone who remembers Arnhem to the date. smile.gif

…monkey tits?

…one tool you may wish to explore in depth is the scenario editor supplied with the game. Seeing as I pack more particulars and tend to drive a harder bargain in terms of accuracy than most, I rely upon it exclusively in order to weave matters just so. In fact, you too may find scenario design to be as much fun as actually playing out the engagements.

…gather resources and set to work. british airborne at arnhem – got a masochistic streak, eh? may I suggest you begin with the ubiquitous primer on the subject “a bridge too far.” which, by the way offers a wonderfully detailed drawing of the immediate environs around the arnhem bridge…

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Runyan99:

I played the Arnhem operation, but I found it pretty ahistorical, both in terms of the map, and the units involved. It is also exceedingly difficult for the British player in PBEM play.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not too surprising. It was pretty difficult for the British player in real life too.

Also check out Rune's operation: The Rest of the Red devils. He also made a hypothetical one on the presumption that the Dreil ferry was not ignored and was used to ferry tanks across the Rhine. I think that one is entitled the 'Dreil Ferry', but I could be wrong.

WWB