OT/ GI COMBAT

Well, they all wrote that a little game company was able to renew war gaming when the big ones failed to do so. What we see here is just one aspect of what it means to "renew" a business.

CMBO will remain a classic, like all games that renewed their genres.

Oh come on guys!!!

If it's a good game, it's good for the WG community, and I guess a lot of people are going to buy it. I know I will, but certainly after I play the demo. Doesn't mean I won't buy CM2, by any means. But the world does not move forward by sticking to one thing, rather by improving the thing.

I don't like TS, cause of the way they ripped everybody off with TOAW. I'd be happy if this product becomes a success though, and if it can offer just one good idea to push the envelopes further.

Who knows, maybe Steve and Charles will grab any novelty it brings, and use it in CMII... biggrin.gif

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Why the west front again?

I am sick of the west front, it is booooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

4 out of the CC games take place on the west front. CM takes place on the west front.

All recent WW2 flight sims take place on the west front.

Thankfully CM2 will deal with the east front. I would love to see more games set in Africa, the Pacific in the Vietnam or Korean war. Or anywhere else, but plz, let the western front rest in peace.

Is it just me who is fed up with the west front?

As for GI combat it looks crap. Hopefully it will play better, but I really do not think that it will challenge CM in any way.

Guest MantaRay

I am so sick of TS, SSI, Mattel bashing. So what, they dont make games YOU like.

TS, SSI, Mattel, Hasbro, Microsoft, and any other company has a right to make the games they want to make, and you don't have to buy them. BTS makes games people don't like also, but wouldn't you have a problem if someone started bad mouthing them for not making RTS games?

You know, as far as I know, none of you have the patent on wargames. Just because a game has something you don't like, doesnt mean it is a travesty. I mean some of you seem like you have been insulted directly because these companies have gone a different direction, or God forbid, a wargame that isn't realistic!!!!!

Wake up guys, the world doesn't revolve around you, nor is the game makers only supposed to cater to your needs.

Wargames are just a fraction of the gaming community, and if some of you ventured outside of this community, you would see just how small we are.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Mantaray look what happened to Atomic. Their later games (from CC3) were not well received by the hardcore gaming community. They have gone out of business. I think BTS have gone the right way by publishing on the Internet only. Big publishers and their infinite stupidity cannot interfere with their design and development. The result is CM which is the best wargame ever.

Big companies produce for the masses. Look at console games, they sell a lot more than PC games. Most people are dumb and stupid, they watch idiotic Hollywood movies, soap operas and play brainless **** on consoles.

Mass market entertainment sucks and I do not care about it.

I think gaming is going more popular right now, and there will be constantly increasing amount of home computers. And wargaming is only friction off it, but maybe in the future it will be bigger friction. It is obvious that there will be competition and time will tell which products will survive. I don't understand complaining about that, I think competition is good for progress. Though I am little bit bitter for the destiny of 3dfx.

Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by coralsaw:

If it's a good game, it's good for the WG community, and I guess a lot of people are going to buy it.

I won't buy it. After talonsoft took my money with their campaign series, I vowed to never buy their products again. (I purchased 10 of their products.) I guarantee that it will be marketed well. It'll look fancy. Heck they'll even say that they had Grognards ensure realism.

Its all fluff. Don't believe a word guys (and gals) of what talonsoft says. Its all show. Talonsoft's main concern is padding the pockets of Take Two with half completed products. This time it looks like they are doing it with a clone of CM! $$$$$ is why talonsoft was bought out by Take Two. They are not the Talonsoft of old. They will NOT go the extra yard like BTS repeatedly does. Throw away your money if you want. Go ahead. Its (mostly) a free country.

There are NO Grognards at talonsoft, IMO.

Lord General MB: "This thing looks like a RIPE OFF to me!"

no, it is NOT RIPE yet, it is still in very early development, I guess.

As far as everybody crying out plagiarism, think about this: CM is 3D, West Front WW2. Any game which is 3D, West Front WW2 will unavoidably seem a lot like CM.

It will still be quite a different game, no doubt. To me it looks like a crossover between StarshipTroopers, CombatMission and CloseCombat.

btw: I did not like TS's East Front. I hate those abstracted, turn-based games where a platoon of machine-gun armored cars will attack a platoon of tanks and because it uses an abstracted attack value BS formula the tanks will suffer losses.

I also don't like 3D. CM is actually the first game in 3D that I enjoyed thoroughly. If GI Combat is 3D _and_ RTS not sure if it'll work. I'll have to wait and see...

I don't think some of you guys understand.

Jim Rose recently made a statement that they had an awesome line of wargames coming out in the next year that will "suffocate all of their competitors".

Actually here is the statement (I just found it):

"Fear not, by this time next year, Talonsoft will be hitting the market with such a wave of new gereration wargames that it will suffocate all those who oppose us, "

BTS is my companies competition to, but I love their product and wish them well overall. However Talonsoft (ie Jim Rose) has a different view. They wish to horde all wargaming talent under their banner and put all other companies out of business.

I don't think this game will even touch CM, but it is SUCH an obvious ripoff that it just grants us ANOTHER reason to not like Talonsoft.

------------------

Richard Arnesen

Shrapnel Games

www.shrapnelgames.com

I don't especially like Talonsoft, I didn't appreciate the way they handled Sir-Tech and a few other developers, and I certainly don't feel a knee-jerk reaction to buy their games just because they say how great they're going to be.

But I strongly believe that competition is a good thing. If it's a rip-off...oh well, then it's a rip-off. Blatant rip-offs don't generally do very well anyway, especially if the game isn't up to snuff. For example, how many reviews of RTS games have you read that say "Cheap Starcraft clone," or something along those lines (using Starcraft as an example, I never played the game). The benefits go straight to Starcraft. 1) a comparison like that will draw attention to the game by implying "hey, if you liked ResourceRaider 2025X, you're going to love Starcraft." 2)It provides an incentive for the game company (in this example Blizzard) to keep developing new ideas, and not to rest on their laurels.

So to sum up, yay competition.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Originally posted by MantaRay:

I am so sick of TS, SSI, Mattel bashing. So what, they dont make games YOU like.

TS, SSI, Mattel, Hasbro, Microsoft, and any other company has a right to make the games they want to make, and you don't have to buy them. BTS makes games people don't like also, but wouldn't you have a problem if someone started bad mouthing them for not making RTS games?

You know, as far as I know, none of you have the patent on wargames. Just because a game has something you don't like, doesnt mean it is a travesty. I mean some of you seem like you have been insulted directly because these companies have gone a different direction, or God forbid, a wargame that isn't realistic!!!!!

Wake up guys, the world doesn't revolve around you, nor is the game makers only supposed to cater to your needs.

Wargames are just a fraction of the gaming community, and if some of you ventured outside of this community, you would see just how small we are.

Ray

This is not a well thought out post.

The wargaming community very much revolves around us - the consumer!!!! And if I hate Hasbro it is because they have embarked on a campaign of false advertising (calling their crappy man-to-man update of Soldiers at War "Avalon Hill's Squad Leader" when it bears absolutely no similarity to that game was disgusting, if transpartent. Advertising features for B-17, and putting them in the manual, but not releasing them with the game is not transparent at all - it borders on criminal).

How is going outside the wargaming community relevant to the discussion of what is a good wargame and what isn't? I don't care if other people like to play football games - I want to see companies design and sell wargames without either insulting my intelligence or outright lying to me.

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 02-02-2001).]

Right on Chup! I remember when Red Alert was all the craze and the other companies were struggling to play catchup. First out of the box was Krush, Kill, and Destroy, a "blatant ripoff" of RA and a truly poor game. But afterwards Total Annihilation came out, which actually did 'push the envelope' of what could be possible in an RTS title.

Y'all should be leaping with joy at this development, not pooh-poohing it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time