unhappy because your Tank didnt see the piat?

Guys, i probably have the dubious honor of having actually been in real combat, at the tender age of 43 and 15 years in the British Army, one usually will have the chance of a real war. You have to remember that lots of things are taking peoples attention, i/e trying not to get shot.

If your crew fail to see a bazooka crew or a large pink bunny, its because

A.. their faces are pressed into the dirt

B.. they have seen something that they are not sure about(was it the wind blowing the bushes/curtains etc)

C..They were to busy reloading,lighting a cigarette, listening to what their leader was saying.

d..Their stuck in a tin can with a little vision block

A Tank that loses its commander, well in the time scale of Combat Mission,will be very lucky to get back into action (to be truthful,in real life most Tanks would high tail it rearward)

A buttoned up tank in the middle of a battle,is a very frightened beast, try looking out of a 4 by 6inch vision block,under fire,dust,bouncing up n down and see if you can spot a House let alone a 2 man a/t team!

Combat Mission is a beautiful game, superbly supported,however it is a GAME, its A1 cannot

replace real people and that is why somethings appear strange, do not blame Battlefront, accept it that things do go wrong in war.Trust me,I know, i have been in one.

War is orginazed chaos

'cause it's a motherbeautiful post and it's gonna be there

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

Man! If there's one thing remarkable about thi board, it's the fact that BSing will get you no where. There's always someone with REAL expirience ready to step in smile.gif!

This is probably one of the few places where gamers can actually converse with those who have actually expirieced combat, or atleast tanks/infantry etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

Man! If there's one thing remarkable about thi board, it's the fact that BSing will get you no where. There's always someone with REAL expirience ready to step in smile.gif!

This is probably one of the few places where gamers can actually converse with those who have actually expirieced combat, or atleast tanks/infantry etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Good point and if I understand what Iron Cross is suggesting CM could use an even thicker FOG of war setting like Extreme FOW or "Extra Real Can't see a Damn Thing unless its 10 m's away FOW"

Good points made by IronCross I respect his experience, especially about the TC-less tank withdrawing.

-tom w

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the initial post Ironcross.

Tom wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yes Good point and if I understand what Iron Cross is suggesting CM could use an even thicker FOG of war setting like Extreme FOW or "Extra Real Can't see a Damn Thing unless its 10 m's away FOW"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To a degree, this will be possible when we rewrite the CM engine so that it has Relative Spotting. Right now it is not really possible to make things more restrictive. However, buttoned up armor is FAR less likely to spot something that is already known to other units. Increasing this penalty would probably be a bad thing on balance, so it is likely to remain as is for now.

BTW, we will most likely offer another level of Fog of War where the player will NEVER know things like headcount and experience of an enemy unit. Not exactly the same thing discussed here, but it should be a bit more scary for the human player wink.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

BTW, we will most likely offer another level of Fog of War where the player will NEVER know things like headcount and experience of an enemy unit. Not exactly the same thing discussed here, but it should be a bit more scary for the human player wink.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PERFECT!

Thank you!

I know MadMatt is kean on this one as well and now that we have it in writing with your signature on it, you know we'll be looking for it in CM2 and dreaming that is will be backward compatible with a patch to CMBO biggrin.gif !

There seem to be some QUITE heated threads around, sure is nice to read some light and entertaining ones like this one and the CM=Crack thread smile.gif

-tom w

In CM in attack/defense situations the good defender orders his troops to hide. In this state they are impossible to spot from farther than about 50 meters.

How realistic is it for a company of men to remain undetected with the enemy watching from a few hundred meters?

I think it would be realistic that hiding troops sometimes are detected at longer ranges. A loud word, a lighting of a cigarette in real life would give away the position of the defender easily.

What's your opinion?

As a former tanker myself I have to agree on the buttoned spotting abilities of tanks. What you can see from a tank is close to nothing. Hidden infantry is almost impossible to detect. I think it is modelled quite well in the game.

Guest Napoleon1944

BV you never mentioned you rode tanks! Glad to see we have some firsthand knowledge here.

Another question I had was with the MG mounted behind the gunshield on most German SPGs. I know some were remotely controlled but can they rotate and fire 360 degrees? On my test wit PIAT teams, the Stugs fire burst to the flanks and target my PIATS right away.

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Originally posted by BlackVoid:

How realistic is it for a company of men to remain undetected with the enemy watching from a few hundred meters? ...

Very, IMO.

At least if the defenders expect an attack and are hidden. This means they have one or two sentries per platoon that expose their heads to see what happens, all the others stay very low in their foxholes and bunkers.

It's very hard to spot a few sentries.

Where CM really seem to screw up spotting is when tank crews can detect the sounds of an infantry platoon walking through some woods 500m away.

I thought tankers became pretty deaf once the engine was started.

Any comments on this?

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...