Need a veteran players input

I just started a PBEM, QB, ME on a large map. Forces were placed. My M8 Greyhound in scattered trees had LOS on a German halftrack across the map also located in scattered trees. During orders phase I had the M8 target the halftrack. At the start of the Action Movie the halftrack started backing up immediately without any kind of delay - several seconds later my M8 fired and took it out. My question is, how did the halftrack get to back up without any kind of command delay? Also at the end of the first minute movie my opponent has a victory level of 28% to my 2%. Whats up with that? The two VLs are in the middle of map and even with a jeep a player would be hard pressed to reach a flag that fast, plus I took out a halftrack already. Am I missing something? I am not complaining just curious. My opponent is well schooled too, no sooner had my M8 fired than he started shelling that position with a 88 mortor.

The moving back real fast could be one of a couple of things. It the HT saw right away it was targeted, it may have done the emergency run away kinda move. I do not think here is a delay with that. My understanding of the built in delay is that some portion of the delay is for the sending and receiving movements orders. Not such order are needed when you are running for your life.

The other reasoncould be that the HT was veteran/crack or elite. I have seen delays on these of less than 5 seconds.

Hmm well I am not sure about the victory level, except to say if you had split squads and your morale was down, his victory level goes up.

As to backing up...well it is called TacAI I think. It is the brain the computer puts into the head of each unit. Your HT saw it was about to face off against a AFV with a 37mm Gun and didn't stand a chance, so self preservation kicked in and it backed up. You will see the same with tanks if they are facing off with a far superior tank. They will even pop smoke to cover their retreat.

As to the mortars (I think you meant 81mm), If your opponent has "on board" mortar teams and they has a direct line of sight, you will see them dropping on your head very quickly.

BTS has gone a long way into making a realistic behaving AI. Some (well many) may argue the minutia and anybody can point out an instance where they were screaming at the screen but this game is leagues ahead of the pack in this regard.

That explains it. Thanks. I didn't think at the distance involved that the halftrack would see the M8 as a viable threat. It was a Regular one BTW so self preservation was probably it. In this particular game, I did split a platoon so that explains that part too. (I did mean 81 mortor - The holes/explosions were way to big for anything less). Thanks again, this is a most excellent game!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commander:

I didn't think at the distance involved that the halftrack would see the M8 as a viable threat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably already know this, but if you pop up the unit info windows you can compare the armor on the HT to the penetration power of the gun on the M8 at various ranges to get an idea of the probability of getting a kill.

By the way, get your M-8 out of the line of sight of that mortar(s) that is shelling it. Otherwise, a somewhat lucky 81mm on the M-8 top will kill your greyhound...

I can here my M-8 crew yelling, "Run away!". I can't see what is shelling me but I have a hunch that there is a hidden command unit sitting in the top floor of that huge house on that huge hill on the other side of the map feeding coordinates to a hidden mortar unit. Time to break out the 105 artillery! That will show those punk Germans!