Some thoughts about vehicule movement

Warning: this is meant as a good-humored, yet carefully considered expression of some of my pet peeves. Not be taken TOO seriously, but if you feel that I'm way off track, feel free to pound...

We all know that the fastest (if not always the safest) way of getting vehicules from point A to point B is to use roads (when available). When the road between A and B contains many curves and one wants to send a whole column of vehicules, plotting the movement of each vehicule can become pretty tedious. Solution: something like a "stick to road" command. Select vehicle, click on destination, et voilĂ , it makes it there automatically using the road. Could be a "toggle" state, like buttoned/unbuttoned, which could be overidden by the TacAI in case of necessity.

Another problem is the utter chaos that befalls any column of vehicules in movement. Different top speed, different experience level (thus of delay before start) turns the move into a stop and go festival (ever notice that there is only two speeds: full steam ahead or full stop). Again my solution: a "convoy" command whereby selected vehicules would make an effort to synchronis their movement. Drawbacks? The command delay would be that of the least experienced unit and the top speed that of the slowest vehicule. But at least the column would retain its coherence.

Well, what do you know? Looks like I have stumbled down a well-beaten path. I'm comforted that most of the messages in these threads echo my position. Thanks for the reference. Did you have it handy, or searched it? I've given up on the search function a while ago...

An important point that was raised as how convenient such commands would be in the case of reinforcements that have a lot of grounds to cover to reach the "front", which is a bit of what I had in mind. A "stick to road" or "convoy" command would not make much sense when actually engaged in battle.

Actually the pathfinder should stick to the road system by himself, if the road is not to curved and the end point is on the road. If the pathfinding chooses a different way, then the road was not the best choice in the first place. Just depends on how much cross-country driving is penalized in the path-finding.

Regards,

Thomm

I think it's a good idea too. I really get bummed out when I have to move a column of vehicles knowing how long it takes to insure all get there at the same and still look like a column when they do. Normally looks like a free for all and everybody fouling everybody else. Very good idea and would be nice to have.