This is the fourth time I've tried to post to this topic. Some screwup with flood control, methinks.

You can use assault boats to carry troops across water. They will hold a squad plus a small team (ie zook or sharpshooter) each, same as a truck. To use them, embark your troops in the boat, and give the boat a move order across the water to the edge of the land on the other side.

Assault boats are slow, vulnerable to any enemy fire, and tons of fun to play with. Be sure to try out the Nijmegen (sp?) scenario that came with the game, it's a blast.

Note that the AI cannot handle assault boats, so you can't defend against a boat crossing unless you play PBEM or TCP.

And of course, be sure to try out my Alunimum Skiff mod to take your troops salmon fishing. http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/Mods/Supportvehiclepages/Supportvehiclemods.html

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hilhil45:

so there basically like the landing craft at omaha?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, think of it more as a rowing boat that will hold 12 men maximum.

READ YOUR DAMN MANUAL! Sorry, I just had to say that before somebody else did. ;) I personally don't see anything wrong in asking questions on this board but boy it sure makes some people mad. :mad: Again, sorry I just had to say it. :D Oh God I hope everybody doesn't start thinking I'm a jerk, course, I guess maybe I am for just having to say it. :confused: Damn. I take it back. :eek:

Obviously, CM decided quite deliberately not to give us the Normandy invasion and not to model Landing Craft (as the manual indicates, assault boats=river crossing boats) in CMBO. And IIRC there are no plans for a Pacific War version of CM. But it seems to me that the CM approach, with its excellent handling of infantry tactics and terrain, would work great in a Pacific War context. They'd need to come up with some means of handling off-shore naval gunfire and, of course, landing craft--though not all battles were amphibious assaults--but it could be kind of cool, eh?

Maybe someday....

Try this:

Buy some assault boats...it doesn't matter if the scenario is near water.

Deploy them near your troops. They'll look kind of silly sitting there on dry land, but just hold on.

Move your troops to the assault boats and have them Crawl to the same location as the assault boat, as if you were rejoining a split squad.

Your troops will pick up the assault boat and hide under it. This will protect them from arrows and projectiles as they assault enemy fortresses.

Of course this tactic only works for Combat Mission: Beyond Cannae.

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Weaver:

Try this:

Buy some assault boats...it doesn't matter if the scenario is near water.

Deploy them near your troops. They'll look kind of silly sitting there on dry land, but just hold on.

...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This part of your post isn't that silly, actually.

Assault boats makes for perfect "decoy" targets. Especially when defending against the AI, that will do it's best to blow up your boats instead of shooting at more dangerous troops...

A bit gamey, and not effective for very long, but still...

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

And of course, be sure to try out my Alunimum Skiff mod to take your troops salmon fishing. http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/Mods/Supportvehiclepages/Supportvehiclemods.html

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bwuahahahaha, complete will gillnet slime!!!

That is too sweet, A definite must have tongue.gif