CM Scenario/Operations Database News...Designers Take Note

Harv

Due to the intrusion of real life, I will no longer be able to spend the time on the database that I have been. So, from now on, I will only be including the scenarios & operations that the designers send me the template information about.

The templates can be found in version 1.08 of the database or later, and I would encourage all designers to fill them out, in order to keep the db current and error free.

I am also going to trim the database down a little for version 1.1, by removing the maps only, links and updates sections.

Harv

Thanks Griffin!! I'm going to post it here, just in case anyone else would like to know also. Note that I use the word scenario to mean both scenarios and operations.

Currently, the steps involved are:

Step 1:

A) Check CM related website for new scenarios.

B) If a scenario is found, enter the scenario name & version, authors name & e-mail, website name & URL into the database.

C) Download Scenario.

D) Repeat for all 50+ websites (that I know of). This is made somewhat easier with Ted's Forward Observer site, but as not all of the CM sites have joined up, there is still a lot of searching to do.

E) Unzip all files to the saved games directory.

Step 2:

A) Start CM and enter all info from the scenario selection screen into the database. Some guesswork involved here as the scenario name in CM is not always the same as the name on the website. A good memory is an asset here, as there is no way to copy-paste the scenario description. Printing a screenshot helps if there is a large batch.

B) Start each scenario and check for any author's recommendations, and to make sure the scenario actually works.

C) Go into the editor, open each scenario and enter the information from the parameters section.

D) Repeat for all downloaded scenarios.

E) Delete previously entered info for scenarios that don't work.

F) Delete or move all scenarios from the saved games folder.

Step 3:

Repeat weekly, sending a new version to Boots & Tracks if there have been more than ~20 scenarios/ops added since the last update.

Let me know what you think.

Harv

------------------

Get The CM Scenario Database Here: http://wbr.thegamers.net/boots_tracks/index.asp

Man, are you trying to sound scary??? (sweating with a crazy smile on face -- yep that is what it looks after 1.5hrs of gym)

Can I do it one very fortnight? I recently dropped playing NOLF and SFC2, but well, I still own Sgt Morgan a turn (well that is over a month ago!!!) and Chinese sound files in this week...so...arrgh...arrgh...and if MadMatt accept me as a CMHQ helper and...can I start after 3 weeks? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Heh, I was afraid I'd scare you (and everyone else) off by posting that. wink.gif

Hopefully all of the designers will see the value in having their scenarios listed on the database, and this process won't be required when all I'll need to do is enter the template information.

If you're still interested, drop me a note when (if) you get some extra time and we can set something up.

Thanks,

Harv

------------------

Get The CM Scenario Database Here: http://wbr.thegamers.net/boots_tracks/index.asp

In a spirit of "Dropping other potential silly, time-wasting games and throw myself into CM community", give me 3 weeks in preperations, is it okay to you? tongue.gif

Another idea: how about setting a web page with cheap database (text-based) so the designers log into the page and fill out the info? I am pretty good @ that!

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Another idea: how about setting a web page with cheap database (text-based) so the designers log into the page and fill out the info? I am pretty good @ that!

Good idea. I have been assuming all of the designers have Excel, and would be perfect for those that don't. It would also possibly be easier than starting up Excel and copy-pasting everything into an e-mail.

Would any designers wish to comment on this...pros, cons etc.

Harv

------------------

Originally posted by Harv:

Good idea. I have been assuming all of the designers have Excel, and would be perfect for those that don't. It would also possibly be easier than starting up Excel and copy-pasting everything into an e-mail.

Would any designers wish to comment on this...pros, cons etc.

Harv

I do not have Excel at home. Is there someplace I can download a version, or something compatible, from? As it stands I have no way of accessing you database - I looked at is once from work, and liked what I saw, but that look was all too brief.

Harv,

I can build a prototype which designers can comment. It is from my little experiences which users cannot comment on concepts until they see The Real Thing .

Constructions takes time, please be patient.

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Okay,

I just register with Angelfire free web hosting service and glad to see they support Javascript and CGI. Great, I can draft my sample form this weekend. And nope -- I cannot go anywhere faster than any CMBO order to arrive at any mailbox.

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Well, with Boots & Tracks looking for a new home, the scenario depot gone (for now) and Manx having yet more trouble things are fairly slow for the database.

If there are any designers that need a copy of the database for the templates, just e-mail me and I can send it to you in either Excel or CSV format.

Thanks,

Harv

JPS, thanks for your comments.

About the Axis force type, I don't have the game with me when I prepare the form --I was in office by the time and don't have the CD with me. I am going to fill them up later tonight.

I am going to add the filename entry asap.

I still want to hear more from all designers.

TIA.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Come to my Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/