Hi! I'm new here and I have a question.

Of course I'm loving CM and anxiously waiting for CM2. :cool:

I have a question about war books:

What are the titles of the books which have the reference of all tanks in WW2? I am thinking about ordering such books online because they are not found in stores.

Thanks.

Some more book suggestions are on the Combat Mission Library page:

http://www.siteonsound.com/

Chris Bishop's Encyclopedia of Weapons of WWII has most everything. It's the hard-bound big red book and can often be found at Barnes & Noble in the discount bin for half-price ($12.50). Good book (though not as in-depth as Jentz or Chamberlain) for very little money.

- Chris

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]

Hey Wolfe, I have that book, and use it alot. However, it seems more of an overview of weapons and vehicles rather than a detailed guide. They have everything from tanks, to ships, to planes, to personal weapons of EVERY nation who even fought in the war. However, to give an example of the "overview" quality of the book, take the German SPW 251. They list it, but none of its variations.

I still love that book though, and can spend an hour flipping through it. Great pictures and color sketches.

I am still looking for a detailed book on Armour in WW2, and am considering getting that first book booktrout mentioned.

True, Bishop is mostly an overview. For any real in-depth info, you mostly have to buy multiple books specializing in a certain tank or country's AFVs. Which can certainly get pricey. Which is why I like the Bishop book so much; it covers most things and is very inexpensive if you find it in the bargain bin.

I have Forty's German Tanks of WWII, and like it a lot. I don't have Chamberlain's book, so can't really compare the two.

There are also a good number of good online resources that are free. smile.gif But sometimes with free websites, you get what you pay for. ;)

Achtung Panzer

Greaves Panzer Page

Hanomag Sdkfz 251

JagdTiger (mostly pics)

Maple Leaf Up

Onwar

Panzer IV Universe

Panzer Diesel

Red Steel

Russian Military Zone

Shadow's Folly

Tanks Head

- Chris

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]

Krill,

I have 4 of the books mentioned above .... Charles and Steve should open an online bookstore ;)

Chris Bishop's Encyclopedia of Weapons of WWII is tremendous value and covers everything. AFAIK only available online at B&N and has been sold out for a while. Get it if you can.

Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two: and British and American Tanks of World War II: Chamberlain et al give lots of info about the various tanks, but more on production figures rather than tactical info. Nice photo's. Amazon have them.

German Tanks of WWII by George Forty, doen't have AC's or HT's but does have a lot of great stories from the tank crews. Available at amazon.

Allied Armour of WWII Ian Hogg is quite good too and covers Russians tanks too, though at 190 pages it's less in depth than the other books mentioned above. Also at amazon.

If you can't get the Chris Bishop book and really want just one book, then consider getting HPSS Encyclopedia of Land Combat available from the HPSS website. It's quite a nice book, it just pales in comparison to the wonderful Encyclopedia of Weapons of WWII

FWIH Steve and Charles for basic reference use the Chris Bishop and the Chamberlain books, those are the first three books mentioned above. I don't have the Jentz two volume series on German tanks which is expensive but rather good I'm told.

All the above books have added to my enjoyment of CM and helped me to truly appreciate BTS's attention to details. Have they made me a better player? Not really :(