TBirds and CM

I'm building a new box:

TBird 800-1Ghz

Abit KT7Raid or MSI K7TPro2a

both have the VIA Chipset.

I've been suring the tech support discussion and have noticed that several users are having issues with Athlons and those chipsets. Can anyone state that they are having any issues with CM Good or Bad?? I'll kick myself if I build a box and it has issues with CM!!!!

------------------

"Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat"

- Lt. General Renya Mutaguchi, Commanding General, Japanese Fifteenth Army, 1944-1945

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Wesy,

The good news is that I run a 900mhz TBird with no problems smile.gif The trick I have found with them though is that you must make sure you keep your motherboard drivers up to date and, probably more importantly, keep the processor cool.

My runs system at about 45 normally, but it does get very hot in CM, up to 55 deg celcius on a bad day. I do start experiencing lock up when it gets above 50, so I have to keep my case well cooled.

The bonus is that the math co in the AMD chips is very good, and generally renders turn about 1/3 faster than a Intel chip of the same speed...

Dan

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 01-18-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hi Wesy,

The good news is that I run a 900mhz TBird with no problems smile.gif The trick I have found with them though is that you must make sure you keep your motherboard drivers up to date and, probably more importantly, keep the processor cool.

My runs system at about 45 normally, but it does get very hot in CM, up to 55 deg celcius on a bad day. I do start experiencing lock up when it gets above 50, so I have to keep my case well cooled.

The good news is that the math co in the AMD chips is very good, and generally renders turn about 1/3 faster than a Intel chip of the same speed...

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just one word Kwazydog... peltier

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

When I originally upgraded to a T/bird 800,I also got a Biosystems M/B with a Via chipset.The only problem I had was that my new Geforce 2 card wouldnt work properly,it kept crashing or locking up any games I was playing.After much investigation and searching on the internet,I found out that there was an incompatability problem with the Geforce and Via chipset based boards.Whether or not that has since been resolved by new drivers from Nvidia or Via,I dont know,but at the time I just wanted to get my system running and returned the Geforce for a Voodoo 5500,(yeah I know that its not quite as fast,3dfx have gone down the toilet,etc)but I havent had a single problem with it yet and I'm more than happy with the setup as a whole.

Hi Wesy,

I've got a 900mhz TBird and I had serious issues with CM when running Win ME. I talked at length with a few people on this board and at first I thought it was heat related. But turns out not to be the case. Anyway, downgrading to 98SE has fixed it for me. It might actually be driver realted - more than likey I'd say but trying to establish what it was was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Anyway, no more crashes for me now, not even in tcp. Just food for thought. Like others say here, keep your drivers up to date, but watch out for the old/new graphics drivers. Read the readme supplied with the patch!

One thing to note - CM is a LOT quicker with a Tbird than the equivalent PIII

[This message has been edited by phil stanbridge (edited 01-19-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

Hi Wesy,

I've got a 900mhz TBird and I had serious issues with CM when running Win ME. I talked at length with a few people on this board and at first I thought it was heat related. But turns out not to be the case. Anyway, downgrading to 98SE has fixed it for me. It might actually be driver realted - more than likey I'd say but trying to establish what it was was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Anyway, no more crashes for me now, not even in tcp. Just food for thought. Like others say here, keep your drivers up to date, but watch out for the old/new graphics drivers. Read the readme supplied with the patch!

One thing to note - CM is a LOT quicker with a Tbird than the equivalent PIII

[This message has been edited by phil stanbridge (edited 01-19-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah - I had this problem as well.

frown.gif

Win ME just wouldn't work, similarly dropping down to 98 fixed it.

smile.gif

Neil

------------------

I don't sing. I don't dance. I ain't blue. Anything else you need to know?

Thanks guys. I wonder why Winme has issues with this...I work for MS (please don't flame me! I'm not an engineer - smile.gif rather just a corporate sales guy trying to build his first rig. Speaking as a private citizen, I'll ask our tech folks what the specific differences are between 98 and Winme...Real mode couldn't be an issue, hmmm...Heck I run Win2K at work, and it's so stable, but the game support isn't there, although CM runs smile.gif. One of our SEs down the hall has Whistler installed, but not sure if CM is compatible at this point or not. Thanks for the comments!

------------------

"Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat"

- Lt. General Renya Mutaguchi, Commanding General, Japanese Fifteenth Army, 1944-1945

Hi Wesy,

The 1.05 patch was very stable on my Win ME rig. It was only when tcp was introduced that I started to get the constant lockups. I could almost guarantee a lockup in a 30 turner. I'm not saying that the problem was ME but when I downgraded the problem went away. It could be a host of things to be honest.

Guest Napoleon1944

Been running a Tbird 850 for 2 months now with only a few minor problems. Make sure you download Easytune III if you have the Gigabyte board with VIA chipset. The version that came with on the CD locked up, but the updated version allows easy overclocking with a few mouse clicks. I have overclocked to up over 1 gig!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesy:

I'm building a new box:

TBird 800-1Ghz

Abit KT7Raid or MSI K7TPro2a

both have the VIA Chipset.

I've been suring the tech support discussion and have noticed that several users are having issues with Athlons and those chipsets. Can anyone state that they are having any issues with CM Good or Bad?? I'll kick myself if I build a box and it has issues with CM!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The initial teething problems with the athlon motherboard chipsets have been largely ironed out in the kt133 chipset - Both of the boards you mentioned are kt133 boards.. and, if you're choosing between the two, I would highly, highly recommend the kt7-raid. I love mine.

In any case, you shouldn't have any sort of problems of that nature with the second generation of the athlon/tbird boards.